Pope John Paul II High School (Florida)
|Pope John Paul II High School|
|4001 North Military Trail
Boca Raton, Florida, 33431
|Motto||Fundamentum Christus Iesus
((Founded on Jesus Christ))
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Principal||Mark John Freund|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Color(s)||Gold, White and Brown ‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Affiliation||De Le Salle Christian Brothers|
Front view of Pope John Paul II High School in November 2007
Pope John Paul II High School is a college preparatory Roman Catholic secondary school with a 30-acre (120,000 m2) campus in East Boca Raton, Florida, adjacent to the main campus of Lynn University. The school opened in 1980, and has a co-ed student body consisting of 500 students and 65 lay teachers as of October 2014. These students are admitted from a diverse applicant pool representing all parts of Palm Beach County and Broward County. PJPII High School is governed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Palm Beach. The Catholic identity of this school allows it to offer religious education classes, retreats, Catholic Mass and the Sacrament of Reconciliation to its student body. A chapel on school grounds provides students a quiet place to pray. The school is funded through donations, tuition and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Palm Beach.
The school maintains a faculty of approximately 65 lay teachers. The student teacher ratio is 13:1. Teachers use RenWeb which provides online grade access for parents and students. All faculty are certified to teach in their subject areas.
Pope John Paul II High School teaches a college preparatory academic curriculum, offering advanced courses to students. Eight of the school's nine academic departments offer Honors, Dual Enrollment, and Advanced Placement course selections.
- Business/Computer Science: Advanced Placement Computer Science A; Honors Visual Basis.Net: An Introduction to Computer Programming, Dual Enrollment with Saint Thomas University
- English: Advanced Placement English Language and Composition; Advanced Placement English Literature
- Fine and Performing Arts: Comprehensive Theatre I, Dual Enrollment with Lynn University; Television Production, Dual Enrollment with Lynn University
- Foreign Language: Advanced Placement Spanish Language
- Mathematics: Advanced Placement Calculus AB; Advanced Placement Calculus BC
- Religious Studies: Honors History of Christian Thought I and II, Dual Enrollment with Saint Thomas University
- Science: Advanced Placement Chemistry; Advanced Placement Biology
- Social Studies: Advanced Placement United States History; Advanced Placement American Government and Politics
Fall, Winter and Spring Varsity and Junior Varsity sports include: football, cheerleading, boys and girls basketball, swimming, diving, golf, cross country, track, girls volleyball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, lacrosse, and flag football. The school grounds house a full football field/track/stadium with bleachers and locker room facilities. An air conditioned gymnasium with full indoor and outdoor basketball courts is used for pep rallies and school fundraisers and open house functions.
School plays are performed on stage in the school theater which also serves as the school cafeteria and dance hall for school dances such as Homecoming.
Each Wednesday afternoon, a large selection of clubs meets on campus after school. The list of clubs includes various foreign language clubs, academic clubs, art clubs and many more. These clubs are usually held in the classrooms of the sponsoring teacher. Often, these clubs make group trips to areas of interest or create projects.
- Member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
- Member of the National Catholic Education Association
- Florida Catholic Conference
- Florida High School Athletic Association
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Honor Society of Secondary Schools
- Member of College Board
Once a year, in-school retreats are held for all classes except Seniors. These retreats are held in the gymnasium on separate days for freshmen, sophomores and juniors.
Saint John Paul II was canonized by Pope Francis on 27 April 2014. The School will undergo a name change during the 2014-2015 academic year to reflect the elevation of its patron to sainthood.
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link][dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pope John Paul II High School, Boca Raton, Florida.|