Pope John Paul II bibliography
|References and footnotes|
The Pope John Paul II bibliography contains a list of works by Pope John Paul II, and works about his life and theology. Pope John Paul II reigned as pope of the Roman Catholic Church and sovereign of Vatican City for nearly 27 years (1978–2005). Works written and published prior to his election to the papacy are attributed to Karol Wojtyła.
The following is a list of books written by Pope John Paul II.
- Questio de fide apud S. Joannem a Cruce (The Question of Faith according to St. John of the Cross). Warsaw: Collectanea Theologica. 1950. – This was the author's first doctoral dissertation at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (Angelicum) in Rome.
- Milosc i odpowiedzialnosc (Love and Responsibility). Lublin: Sudium etyczne. 1960. – This was the author's first published book, reflecting his pastoral experience with young people. The book deals with Catholic sexual morality and addresses such issues as attraction, desire, sentiment, sensuality, shame, friendship, and love.
- Osaba i czyn (Person and Act). Krakow: Pol. Tow. Teologiczne. 1969. – This is a major philosophical work directed to the person, which involves the use of the metaphysics of St. Thomas Aquinas for all that is objective in man and the phenomenological method for the study of man's personal subjectivity.
- Upodstaw odnowy. Studium o realizacji Vaticanum II (Sources of Renewal. Studies on Realizing Vatican II). Krakow: Pol. Tow. Teologiczne. 1972. – This book is a guide to the pastoral synod of the Archdiocese of Kraków in their deliberations, and introduces the reader to the documents of Vatican II and how they can be implemented as a response of faith to God's action through the Council.
- The Acting Person: A Contribution to Phenomenological Anthropology. Springer. 1979. ISBN 978-90-277-0969-1. – This is the first English translation of Osaba i czyn.
- Love and Responsibility. San Francisco: Ignatius Press. 1981 (1993). ISBN 978-0-89870-445-7. – This is the first English translation of Milosc i odpowiedzialnosc.
- The Way to Christ: Spiritual Exercises. New York: HarperSanFrancisco. 1994. ISBN 978-0-06-064216-7. – This book is a conversational presentation of two retreats Karol Wojtyła gave 10 years apart before becoming pope. During that time he served in Kraków as bishop and cardinal.
- Crossing the Threshold of Hope. New York: Knopf. 1995. ISBN 978-0-679-44058-1. – This book presents the author's many teachings and ideas.
- The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan. Boston: Pauline Books & Media. 1997. ISBN 978-0-8198-7394-1. – This book is a compilation of weekly lectures titled Theology of the Body, delivered from 1979 to 1984 to married couples about the deep meaning of human love and sexuality.
- Gift and Mystery: On the Fiftieth Anniversary of My Priestly Ordination. New York: Doubleday. 1996. ISBN 978-0-385-40966-7. – The author's thoughts on the priesthood and how the event of the Incarnation in world history is manifest daily in the lives of priests who have been chosen to follow in His footsteps.
- Pope John Paul II: In My Own Words. New York: Gramercy. 2002. ISBN 978-0-517-22084-9. – This book is a carefully selected compilation of words and prayers of the author, compiled by Anthony F. Chiffolo.
- Roman Triptych (Meditation) - 6 March (2003), in Italy published by Libreria Editrice Vaticana ISBN 88-209-7451-7
- Rise, Let Us Be On Our Way, Warner Books (28 September 2004), ISBN 0-446-57781-2, mostly addressed to his bishops, although it has been used as source of inspiration for others having knowledge of Christianity.
- Memory and Identity - Conversations at the Dawn of a Millennium, published by Rizzoli (22 March 2005) ISBN 0-8478-2761-5, conversational presentation of John Paul II's views on many secular topics, such as evil, freedom, contemporary Europe, nationalism, and democracy. Included in the book is also a transcript of the Pope's discussion on his assassination attempt in 1981.
- Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body [John Paul II; Translated by Dr. Michael Waldstein] Pauline Books & Media, 2006. ISBN 0-8198-7421-3, a new translation in English created from the newly discovered original Polish work written by John Paul II
- (Promulgated by Pope John Paul II), Catecismo de la Iglesia Catolica, Doubleday, 2006. ISBN 978-0-385-51650-1
The following is a list of plays written by Pope John Paul II.
- David[N 1]
- The Jeweller's Shop: A Meditation on the Sacrament of Matrimony, Passing on Occasion into a Drama, Arrow, (17 March 1980) ISBN 0-09-140861-X.
- Our God's Brother, Ave Maria Press (1995) ISBN 0-87793-870-9, play written by Karol Wojtyła in Poland during World War II at a time when Nazis were suppressing Polish culture (1944).
- La Bottega dell'orefice (English: The Jeweller's Shop), 88 min (Canada)/95 min (USA), 1988, colour, directed by Michael Joseph Anderson. IMDb entry.[N 2]
- Our God's brother (in Polish: Brat naszego Boga), 123 min, 1997, colour, directed by Krzysztof Zanussi. IMDb entry.[N 3]
The following is a list of books of poetry written by Pope John Paul II.
- The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II, Random House; 1st edition (25 October 1994) ISBN 0-679-76064-4, lyrical poetry
- Roman Triptych. Meditations, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, (Vatican) March 2003), ISBN 88-209-7451-7
- The Poetry of Pope John Paul II, USCCB (1 September 2003) ISBN 1-57455-556-1, poems written in the summer of 2002.
The following is a list of audio recordings produced by Pope John Paul II.
- Sings at the Festival of Sacrosong (1979), Infinity Entertainment Group
- Rosario del Papa (1994), Max Music & Entertainment
- Rosario (1994), ISR Records (Spanish)
- A Celebration of Mass (1995), BMG Video
- El Santo Rosario (1995), Sony Music Distribution
- Pope of the Rosary (1995), Trinity Records (English, Spanish)
- Der Papst in Paderborn (1996), Titan (German)
- Abbà Pater (1999), Sony Music Distribution[N 4]
- Pope John Paul II (2000), Gateway
- Papal Blessing/Ave Maria (2000), Gateway Records
- Du Bist Petrus (2000), Universal Music
- Orbi Millennium (2003), Beaux
- Piesni Polakow dla Papieza (2004), GM Recordings
- Papst Johannes Paul II in Deutschland (2005), Sonia
- Die Helligen Vater in Deustschland (2005), Delta Distribution
Pope John Paul II issued 14 Papal encyclicals during his reign as Pope of the Roman Catholic Church for over 26 years, from his election on 16 October 1978 until his death on 2 April 2005. Encyclicals (from Latin encyclia, from the Greek "en kyklo, ἐν κύκλῳ", meaning "general" or "encircling") were originally circular letters sent to all the churches of a particular area in the early Christian church. For the modern Roman Catholic Church, a papal encyclical, in the strictest sense, is a letter sent by the Pope which is explicitly addressed to Roman Catholic bishops of a particular area or to the world, usually treating some aspect of Catholic doctrine. A papal encyclical is generally used for significant issues, and is second in importance only to the highest ranking document now issued by popes, an Apostolic Constitution. The title of a Papal Encyclical is usually taken from its first few words. Pope John Paul II issued his first encyclical, Redemptor Hominis, on 4 March 1979. Ecclesia de Eucharistia, his last encyclical, was issued on 17 April 2003.
|1.||Redemptor Hominis||"The Redeemer of Man"||On Jesus' Redemption of the world; the central importance of the human person; the Pope's plan of governance||4 March 1979|
|2.||Dives in Misericordia||"Rich in Mercy"||On God's mercy given to the Church and the world||30 November 1980|
|3.||Laborem Exercens||"On Human Work"||On the 90th anniversary of Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum; the conflict of labour and capital, and the rights of workers||14 September 1981|
|4.||Slavorum Apostoli||"The Apostles of the Slavs"||In commemoration of Saints Cyril and Methodius||2 June 1985|
|5.||Dominum et Vivificantem||"The Lord and Giver of Life"||On the Holy Spirit in the life of the Church and the world||18 May 1986|
|6.||Redemptoris Mater||"Mother of the Redeemer"||On the Blessed Virgin Mary in the life of the Pilgrim Church||25 March 1987|
|7.||Sollicitudo Rei Socialis||"On Social Concerns"||On the 20th anniversary of Pope Paul VI's encyclical Populorum Progressio; on the social concerns and teachings of the Church||30 December 1987|
|8.||Redemptoris Missio||"Mission of the Redeemer"||On the permanent validity of the Church's missionary mandate||7 December 1990|
|9.||Centesimus Annus||"The Hundredth Year"||On the 100th anniversary of Rerum Novarum; on capital and labour; and on Catholic social teaching||1 May 1991|
|"The Splendor of Truth"||On fundamental questions of the Church's moral teaching||6 August 1993|
|"The Gospel of Life"||On the value and inviolability of human life||25 March 1995|
|12.||Ut Unum Sint||"That They May Be One"||On commitment to ecumenism||25 May 1995|
|13.||Fides et Ratio||"Faith and Reason"||On the relationship between faith and reason; condemning both atheism and faith unsupported by reason; affirming the place of reason and philosophy in religion||14 September 1998|
|14.||Ecclesia de Eucharistia||"The Church of the Eucharist"||On the Eucharist in its relationship to the Church||17 April 2003|
Further reading 
The following is a list of works about the life and theology of Pope John Paul II.
- Pope John Paul II: The Biography, Tad Szulc, Scribner, 1995.
- His Holiness: John Paul II and the History of Our Time, Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi, Doubleday, 1996.
- Man of the Century: The Life and Times of Pope John Paul II, Jonathan Kwitny, Henry Holt and Company, 1997.
- The Hidden Pope, Dacry O'Brien, Daybreak Books (1998) ISBN 0-87596-478-8
- Witness to Hope, George Weigel, HarperCollins (1999, 2001) ISBN 0-06-018793-X.
- Universal Father, Garry O'Connor, Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2005, ISBN 91-37-12870-1
- John Paul II: An Illustrated Biography, Andrzej Nowak, Kluszczynski, Kraków, 2005
- Let Me Go to the Father's House: John Paul II's Strength in Weakness, Stanisław Dziwisz, Czesław Drazek, SJ, Renato Buzzonetti, Angelo Comastri, Pauline Books & Media, 2006. ISBN 0-8198-4522-1
- Lolek, The Boy Who Became Pope John Paul II, Mark Hoffman, Mary Hramiec Hoffman, Hramiec Hoffman Inc., 2009, ISBN 978-0-9746901-1-7, ISBN 0-9746901-1-2
- Köchler, Hans, The Phenomenology of Karol Wojtyła. On the Problem of the Phenomenological Foundation of Anthropology, in: Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Vol. 42 (1982), pp. 326–334
- Buttiglione, Rocco, Karol Wojtyła: The Thought of the Man Who Became Pope John Paul II, Grand Rapids, Mich. & Cambridge, UK, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1997. ISBN 0-8028-3848-0
- Simpson, Peter, On Karol Wojtyła, Belmont, CA, Wadsworth Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-534-58375-X
- Kupczak, Jarosław, Destined for Liberty: The Human Person in the Philosophy of Karol Wojtyła/John Paul II, Washington, DC, The Catholic University of America Press, 2000. ISBN 0-8132-0985-4
- Jeffreys, Derek, Defending Human Dignity, Baker / 2004 / Paperback, ISBN 1-58743-092-4 (pbk.)
- Köchler, Hans, Karol Wojtyła's Notion of the Irreducible in Man and the Quest for a Just World Order (Saint Joseph College, USA, 2006)
- Mannion, Gerard (ed.), The Vision of John Paul II: Assessing His Thought and Influence, Collegeville, MN, Liturgical Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-8146-5309-8
- Meissen, Randall J., "Living Miracles: The Spiritual Sons of John Paul the Great," Alpharetta, GA, Misison Network, 2011. ISBN 978-1-933271-27-9
- PapalEncyclicals.net - Pope John Paul II - online copies
- Works of John Paul II at the Open Directory Project
- "The Pontificate of Pope John Paul II: His Writings". EWTN. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- Kadison, Dan (May 13, 2007). "Holy Nights: Pope John Paul II's Plays Revived in Fest". New York Post. Retrieved May 12, 2008.
- "Pope John Paul II Discography". Allmusic. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- Pope John Paul II Encyclicals, with Study Tool (most in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish; one also in Arabic and Latin) - from the Papal Archive at the internet site of the Holy See. Retrieved 13 December 2006.