|Quarter of Hamburg|
|• Total||8.1 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,700/km2 (7,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
According to the statistical office of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, the quarter has a total area of 8.1 km². To the northwest, Poppenbüttel borders on the state of Schleswig-Holstein and the quarter Lemsahl-Mellingstedt, in the east is the quarter Sasel. In the south is the quarter Wellingsbüttel and in the southwest is the quarter Hummelsbüttel.
21,930 people were living in the quarter in 2006, the population density was 2,701 people per km². 14.5% were children under the age of 18, and 30.4% were 65 years of age or older, 5.6% were immigrants. 413 people were registered as unemployed. In 1999 there were 10,260 households and 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals.
In 2006 there were 3 elementary schools and 3 secondary schools in the quarter Poppenbüttel.
As of 2006 there were 92 physicians in private practice and 8 pharmacies.
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt), 10,581 private cars are registered in the quarter (484 cars/1000 people).
Memorial for the concentration subcamp
From September 1944 to April 1945, Jewish women from the subcamp Hamburg-Sasel were forced to build houses in this quarter. The last existing house is located in Kritenbarg street, and is now a memorial.
- The locations are listed as No. 1161 Poppenbüttel-Sasel in the official German list.
- Residents registration office, source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (1999)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Memorial Neuengamme (German)
- Official German list of concentration camps Verzeichnis der Konzentrationslager und ihrer Außenkommandos gemäß § 42 Abs. 2 BEG (German)
- Statistical office Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein Statistisches Amt für Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein, official website (German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poppenbüttel.|