Porcupine, South Dakota
|Porcupine, South Dakota
Location in Shannon County and the state of South Dakota
|• Total||9.5 sq mi (24.6 km2)|
|• Land||9.5 sq mi (24.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,192 ft (973 m)|
|• Density||111.8/sq mi (43.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1257179|
Porcupine is located at (43.262380, -102.347660).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 9.5 square miles (24.6 km²), all of it land.
Porcupine has been assigned the ZIP code 57772.
Porcupine is the unofficial capital of the unrecognized Republic of Lakotah.
As of the census of 2000, there were 407 people, 89 households, and 76 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 42.9 people per square mile (16.6/km²). There were 103 housing units at an average density of 10.8 per square mile (4.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 1.23% White, 98.28% Native American, and 0.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.47% of the population.
There were 89 households out of which 47.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 32.6% were married couples living together, 38.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.5% were non-families. 9.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.57 and the average family size was 4.83.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 42.0% under the age of 18, 13.5% from 18 to 24, 21.6% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 3.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females there were 110.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 114.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $24,583, and the median income for a family was $26,667. Males had a median income of $26,786 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $4,429. About 30.8% of families and 28.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.1% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- Old Chief Smoke (1774–1864), an original Oglala Sioux head chief, he is buried South-east of Porcupine
- Russell Means (1939 - 2012), an American Indian Movement activist. He was also an actor.
- KILI-FM, radio station in Porcupine
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ullrich, Jan F. (2014). New Lakota Dictionary (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Lakota Language Consortium. ISBN 978-0-9761082-9-0.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.