||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|Headquarters||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Alexa rank||7,295 (May 2012[update])|
|Type of site||Pornographic|
It allows its users to upload their own pornographic media (user-generated content). It is one of the highest-traffic pornographic sites on the Internet along with YouPorn and has been described as a major development in Internet pornography. The site offers amateur sex clips, clips from pornographic websites, and scenes of regular porn movies in the straight, gay and lesbian category.
PornoTube was started in July 2006 by the company AEBN which is based in Charlotte, North Carolina. A significant competitor of PornoTube is YouPorn which was started in late August 2006 and, according to Alexa, has since overtaken PornoTube in popularity. PornoTube and YouPorn are seen as posing notable competition for paid pornographic websites and traditional magazine and DVD-based pornography.
Concerns have been expressed over the inability to verify the age of the persons depicted in the videos, the possibility of copyrighted videos being uploaded to the site, and the possibility of privacy violations when private sex tapes are uploaded without the consent of all involved parties.
On December 6, 2007, Vivid Entertainment filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against PornoTube. The lawsuit alleges that the YouTube-like site profits from the illegal posting of Vivid's copyrighted films, and failed to comply with the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act, a federal age-verification and record-keeping law that applies to the adult film industry. The lawsuit was withdrawn by Vivid in October 2008.
- "Pornotube.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- MyVideo leads next generation of upstarts Traditional media's appetite for video-sharing sites shows no sign of abating, but has echoes of the dotcom bubble" by Tom Braithwaite, Financial Times, London, September 5, 2006, pg. 30.
- Brown, Joe (2006-11-30). "'The most important site on the Internet'". T3. Retrieved 2006-12-25.
- Pornotube.com at the Internet Archive
- Advertising information at pornotube.com, accessed 29 August 2006
- Comparison of YouPorn and PornoTube traffic, Alexa.com
- Purveyors of porn scramble to keep up with Internet, USA Today, 5 June 2007
- YouTube with fewer clothes, The Times, 19 June 2007
- Porn 2.0, and Its Victims, The Tyee, 6 July 2007
- "Britney 'sex tape' leaks onto internet". China Daily. 2006-11-13. Retrieved 2006-12-25.
- Joseph Menn (2007-12-11). "Porn producer sues YouTube knockoff". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "Adult Film Company's Copyright Lawsuit Against PornoTube". FindLaw. 2007-12-11. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- Roettgers, Janko (2008-10-24). "Copyright Lawsuit Against PornoTube Withdrawn". newteevee.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Head, Will (2006-07-26). "YouTube faces stiff challenge from PornoTube". VNU. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2006-12-25.