Port Jefferson Station, New York
|Port Jefferson Station, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
1999 photo of Port Jefferson LIRR station, which changed the name of the community formerly known as "Echo, New York"
U.S. Census map
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||177 ft (54 m)|
|• Density||3,000/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0960970|
The area now known as Port Jefferson Station was first called by the Native American name Comsewogue. The name "Echo" was also used. The first Colonial resident, William Tooker, had arrived by 1750.
The primarily farming community began to experience suburban growth following the construction of Nesconset Highway in the mid 1950s. By the early 1970s, it had become a primarily suburban community.
Port Jefferson Station is located at (40.93161, -73.05256).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), all land. The train tracks mark the northern boundary of Port Jefferson Station, separating it from the village of Port Jefferson. Route 347 (Nesconset Highway) on the south forms a boundary with Terryville.
Demographics of the CDP
As of the 2010 census, the population of Port Jefferson Station was 7,838. Out of those, 5,598 (76.5%) were White, 183 (2.3%) were Black, 416 (5.3%) were Asian, 7 (0.1%) were Native American, 3 (0.04%) were Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 7 (0.1%) were some other race, and 66 (0.8%) were two or more races. 1,158 people (14.8%) were Hispanic or Latino (of any race).
As of the 2010 census, there were 2,812 households, out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.8% were headed by married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.9% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.5% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75, and the average family size was 3.21.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 21.9% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.2 years. For every 100 females there were 95.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
For the period 2007-11, the median annual income for a household in the CDP was $61,218, and the median income for a family was $73,854. Males had a median income of $67,466 versus $32,571 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $32,894. About 0.8% of families and 12.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.0% of those under age 18 and 2.3% of those age 65 or over.
- 5A: Port Jefferson - Sound Beach
- S60: Smith Haven Mall - Gordon Heights
- S61: Port Jefferson - Patchogue via Route 112
- S62: Hauppauge - Riverhead
- S69: Port Jefferson Night Loop
- S76: Port Jefferson Station - Stony Brook Village
Port Jefferson Station is primarily served by the Comsewogue School District, although a very small portion of it is covered by the Mount Sinai School District, the Three Village Central School District, and the Middle Country Central School District.
- R.A. the Rugged Man, hip-hop artist, graduated from Comsewogue.
- Neil "Gge-Zee" Swenning,smoke blower and now middle school football coach at JFK, graduated from the 'Wogue.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Port Jefferson Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Newsday: Port Jefferson Station: Rapid Growth Rode on Nesconset Highway". Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- U.S. Geological Survey, Port Jefferson quadrangle, 2010.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Port Jefferson Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics, 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Port Jefferson Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-07.