Port Kennedy Bone Cave
|Port Kennedy Bone Cave|
The Port Kennedy Bone Cave is a limestone cave in Port Kennedy, Pennsylvania, USA. The Bone Cave "contained one of the most important middle Pleistocene (Irvingtonian, approximately 750,000 years ago) fossil deposits in North America".
The fossils in the cave were investigated by noted 19th-century palaeontologists Edward Drinker Cope, Henry C. Mercer, and Charles M. Wheatley. Some of the fossils, such as an unnamed member of Genus Dicaelus are unique to this cave and have not been identified elsewhere.
The cave was originally discovered by limestone miners in the 19th century. The cave was later filled in with asbestos-bearing industrial refuse and the cave's location was lost. The land is now part of the Valley Forge National Historical Park. In 2005, the National Park Service and geologists rediscovered the cave.
Remains found in the cave
Numerous insect remains were found imbedded in clay masses in the cave.
- Cychrus Wheatleyi
- Cymindis aurora
- Cymindis punetulatus
- Dicaelus alutaceus
- Choeridium(?) ebeninum
- Phanæus antiquus
- Aphodius precursor
- Cicindela (2 sp)
- Megalonyx wheatleyi (sp. nov.) (2)
- Megalonyx jeffersonii (14)
- Megalonyx loxodon (sp. nov.)
- Megalonyx dissimilis
- Megalonyx sphenodon
- Megalonyx tortulus
- Arvicola sigmodus (sp. nov.) (2)
- Arvicola speothen (sp. nov.)
- Arvicola tetradelta (sp. nov.)
- Arvicola didelta (sp. nov.)
- Arvicola involuta (sp. nov.)
- Arvicola hiatidens (sp. nov.)
- Bechtel, Timothy D.; Jaime L. Hojdila, Samuel H. Baughman II, Toni DeMayo, Edward Doheny (2005). "Relost and refound: Detection of a paleontologically, historically, cinematically(?), and environmentally important solution feature in the carbonate belt of southeastern Pennsylvania". The Leading Edge 24 (5): 537. doi:10.1190/1.1926813. ISSN 1070-485X.
- Society, American Entomological; Horn, M.D., George M. (December 1876). "Notes on some Coleopterous Remains from the bone cave at Port Kennedy, Penna.". Transactions of the American Entomological Society 5. The Society. pp. 241–245. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
- Cope, ED. (1871) Preliminary report on the vertebrata discovered in the Port Kennedy Bone Cave. American Philosophical Society, 12:73-102.
- Society, American Philosophical; Cope, E. D. (1873). "PRELIMINARY REPORT ON THE VERTEBRATA DISCOVERED IN THE PORT KENNEDY BONE CAVE". Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge 12. The Society. pp. 73–98. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- "Relost and Refound". Retrieved 2009-11-09.
|This paleontological site article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific United States geological feature is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|