Port Loko District
|Port Loko District|
Location of Port Loko District in Sierra Leone
|• Type||District Council|
|• Council Chairman||Ahmed Munir Fofana (APC)|
|• Total||5,719 km2 (2,208 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC-5)|
Port Loko District is a district in the Northern Province of Sierra Leone. It is the most populous District in the North and the fourth most populous District in Sierra Leone. As of 2010, the District has a population of 500,992. Its capital is the town of Port Loko and its largest city is Lunsar. The other major towns in the district include Masiaka, Rokupr, Pepel, Lungi and Gbinti.
The district of Port Loko borders the Western Area to the west, Kambia District to the north, Bombali District to the east and Tonkolili District to the south. The district occupies a total area of 5,719 km2 (2,208 sq mi) and comprises ten chiefdoms. The population of Port Loko District is predominantly Muslim and the Temne people form by far the largest ethnic group in the district.
Port Loko District is governed with a district council form of government, which is headed by a District Council Chairman, who is the highest local government official in the district. The District Council Chairman is responsible for the general management of the district. The District Council Chairman is elected directly by the residents of Port Loko District. The current District Council Chairman of Port Loko District Council is Ahmed Munir Fofana of the All People's Congress (APC), following his victory in the 2008 Sierra Leone Local Elections.
Small towns and villages include
- Kasseh, the birthplace of Bai Bureh, Sierra Leone's greatest war hero
The district's main economic activities include scale mining and production of food crops(rice, cassava, and sweet potato).
Port Loko District currently has six representatives in the Sierra Leonean Parliament, of which five members were elected for a 5-year term. Below is the list of Port Loko District representatives in the Parliament:
- Lamin Bai Sama, Paramount Chief of Port Loko District
- Alhaji Alpha Kanu (APC)
- Ibrahim Kemoh Sesay (APC)
- A.B wurrie (SLPP)
- Alfrd Smart Kumbu (APC)
- Alhaji Buya Kamara (APC)
Notable people from Port Loko District
- Bai Bureh, Sierra Leonean ruler who led the Temne uprising against the British in The 1898 Rebellion
- Sorie Ibrahim Koroma, Vice President of Sierra Leone from 1971 to 1985
- Abass Bundu, Sierra Leonean Politician
- Ibrahim Kemoh Sesay, Former Sierra Leone's minister of Transportation and Aviation
- Amadu Wurie, Sierra Leonean Educationist and Politician
- "Members of Parliament".State House Online.Office of the Sierra Leone President.Web
- http://www.daco-sl.org/encyclopedia/7_lib/7_2j_pl.htm[dead link]