Port Phillip Prison
|Security class||Maximum (Male)|
|Capacity||1072, as at 30 June 2014|
|Managed by||G4S Australia Pty Ltd|
Coordinates: Port Phillip Prison is a maximum security prison located at Truganina, Victoria, Australia. It is Victoria's largest prison, able to accommodate up to 824 prisoners. The prison is privately operated on behalf of the Government of Victoria by G4S Australia Pty Ltd.
Construction and history
Construction began in 1994 and was completed in 1996. Originally called Port Phillip Correctional Centre, the facility was the third privately operated prison to open in Victoria. It received its first prisoners on 10 September 1997.
The prison consists of 13 accommodation units including a youth unit generally for young adult inmates aged 18–25. Cells within the units have a shower, hand basin, toilet, desk, chair, television, kettle, storage shelves, intercom and bed.
The prison operates a 20-bed inpatient hospital unit.
- Julian Knight, perpetrator of the infamous 1987 Hoddle Street massacre 
- Jason Roberts. Roberts was convicted of the Silk-Miller police murders 
- "Port Phillip Prison". G4S. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Port Phillip Prison". Department of Justice, Victoria. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- Private Contract Management of Prisons - Exploring Key Policy and Implementation Issues (PDF). Australian Institute of Criminology. 16–17 June 1997. p. 145. Retrieved 2011-10-27.