Port Townsend High School
|Port Townsend High School|
|Students||518 (as of 2010[update])|
|Location||1500 Van Ness St.,
Port Townsend, Washington,, USA
|District||Port Townsend School District|
Coordinates: Port Townsend High School is located in Port Townsend, Washington, USA. Port Townsend High School is one of the oldest in Washington State, graduating its first class in 1891. Port Townsend High School is a comprehensive public high school, serving approximately 507 students in grades 9 - 12 in 2013, and is fully approved and accredited by the State of Washington and the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.
Port Townsend High School has 30 faculty members in 2013. In the 2007-2008 school year, the student to teacher ratio was 16 students per teacher. Faculty had an average 14 years of teaching experience, and more than half had graduate degrees. The dropout rate is 3.5%, less than the state average.
Port Townsend High School has an active drama program, whose production of Gypsy: A Musical Fable in 2008 won Special Honors for Educational Impact at the 5th Avenue High School Musical Theatre Awards.
PTHS took the 27th annual 1A State Knowledge Bowl title in a thrilling come-from-behind final round on Saturday, March 27, 2010. This year's competition featured the eighteen top 1A schools in the state, all of whom had qualified for State by virtue of their finishes in regional competitions.
PTHS is a class 1A school in the Olympic League.
The students have voted to replace their Redskins team name with Redhawks. The next step will be to select new graphics to replace the old.
- Marvin G. Shields, PTHS Class of 1958, Medal of Honor, (Vietnam War)
- John Stroeder, PTHS Class of 1976, Former NBA player (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Tom Baker, PTHS Class of 1952, Former MLB pitcher (Chicago Cubs), Tom Baker (1960s pitcher)
- Art McLarney, PTHS Class of 1928, Former MLB player (New York Giants)
- Horace Winslow McCurdy, PTHS Class of 1915
- Ichabod Caine, PTHS Class of 1968, Radio Personality
- Robert L. Tsai, PTHS Class of 1989, Law Professor
- Jeff Sherman, PTHS Class of 1970, member of the band Glass
- Greg Sherman, PTHS Class of 1972,member of the band Glass
- Jerry Cook, PTHS Class of 1971, member of the band Glass
- Kyle Hove, PTHS Class of 2009, member of the band New Faces
- Conor Sisk, PTHS Class of 2009, member of the band New Faces
- Nico Janssen, PTHS Class 0f 2008, member of the band New Faces
- Brita Guthrie, PTHS Class of 2008. Seattle Seagals cheerleader, (NFL), (Seattle Seahawks),
- Parker Lundgren, PTHS Class of 2005, member of the band Queensrÿche
- Chuck Robinson, PTHS Class of 1979, AAU National Boxing Team - died in plane crash in Poland in 1980
- "Port Townsend High School Staff". Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Washington State. "Washington State Report Card".
- P-I STAFF (June 11, 2008). "WOODINVILLE IS THE TOP WINNER IN SCHOOL MUSICAL AWARDS". Seattle PI.
- Charlie Bermant. "Port Townsend students pick Red Hawks as high school’s new mascot". Peninsula Daily News.
- "McCurdy, H. W. (1899-1989)". Retrieved 9 April 2009.
- Jennifer Jackson. "Port Townsend graduate writes about First Amendment". Peninsula Daily News.
- Liu, Marian (March 4, 2008). "Arts Briefs". Seattle Times.
- Lockhart, Melanie (August 12, 2009). "Living a rocker's dream: Parker Lundgren tours with Queensrÿche". Retrieved August 8, 2011.