Port of Shenzhen
- Not to be confused with the Shenzhen Bay Port, an immigration checkpoint or port of entry.
|Port of Shenzhen
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Owned by||Shenzhen Government|
|Port of Shenzhen|
The Port of Shenzhen is one of the busiest and fastest growing ports in southern mainland China. It is located in the southern region of the Pearl River Delta in China's Guangdong province. It is the economic hinterland for Hong Kong trade with the Mainland and also one of the most important port in terms of China's international trade.
The port is home to 39 shipping companies who have launched 131 international container routes. There are 560 ships on call at Shenzhen port on a monthly basis and also 21 feeder routes to other ports in the Pearl River Delta region. Shekou Passenger Terminal provides fast ferry services across the Pearl River Delta to Hong Kong, Macau and Zhuhai.
The Port of Shenzhen is spread along Shenzhen city’s 260 km coastline. It is separated by the Kowloon Peninsula into two areas: the eastern port and the western port.
Shenzhen port's western port is located to the east of Lingdingyang in the Pearl River Estuary and consist of a deep water harbor with safe natural shelters. It is about 37.04 km from Hong Kong to the south and 111.12 km from Guangzhou to the north. As a result, the western port area is connected to the pearl river region which includes cities and counties along the river. The western port is also linked to On See dun waterway which allows trade to reach all the way to other ports.
The eastern port area is situated north of Dapeng Bay where the harbor is broad and calm and is claimed to be the best natural harbor in South China.
It has 140 berths altogether. The breakdown of the berth's activities are
- 51 berths for vessels with 10,000 metric tons deadweight (DWT) and above.
- 90 operational berths, in which 43 are of 10,000 DWT or above, 18 container berths, 9 consignee berths, among which 3 are of 10,000 DWT or above, 18 passenger ferry berths, and 23 non production berths.
||It has been suggested that this section be split into a new article titled List of ports of entry in Shenzhen. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2013.|
The six ports to be constructed are:
- Liantang Port
- Longhua Railway Port
- Fujian Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Passengers Port
- Dachan Gulf Harbor Port
- Nan'ao Tourism Port
- Shenzhen Airport-Hong Kong Airport Undersea Tunnel Port
Work at Wenjindu Port will be launched by the end of 2008, with its planned capacity for customs clearance set at 3,000 vehicles and 30,000 passengers a day as compared to the present 1,100 vehicles and 9,000 passengers.
Shenzhen's long-term plan is to set up 20 ports linking it with Hong Kong. With existing ports being expanded and new ports in service, the population flow will become seamless between Shenzhen and Hong Kong in the near future.
- Shenzhen Port Official Website
- Bureau of Communications of Shenzhen Municipality (Ports Administration of Shenzhen Municipality)