Portage Township, Ottawa County, Ohio
|Portage Township, Ottawa County, Ohio|
Along the southern shoreline of Portage Township
Location of Portage Township in Ottawa County
|• Total||21.6 sq mi (56.0 km2)|
|• Land||9.0 sq mi (23.3 km2)|
|• Water||12.6 sq mi (32.7 km2)|
|Elevation ||581 ft (177 m)|
|• Density||181.5/sq mi (70.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086763|
Located in the eastern part of the county on the Marblehead Peninsula, it borders the following townships:
- Put-in-Bay Township - north, across Lake Erie
- Catawba Island Township - northeast
- Danbury Township - east
- Margaretta Township, Erie County - south, across Sandusky Bay
- Riley Township, Sandusky County - southwest corner, across Sandusky Bay
- Bay Township - west
- Erie Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ottawa County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.