Aquarium fish are any species of fish that can be kept in a tank, aquarium, or other simulated habitat. The practise of keeping fish as pets has been going on for many years. The Chinese brought goldfish indoors during the Song Dynasty to enjoy them in large ceramic vessels. Aquarium keeping is enjoyed by experts and novices alike.
(English pronunciation: /ˈsɪkl
) are fish
from the family Cichlidae
in the order Perciformes
. The family Cichlidae, a major family of perciform fish, is both large and diverse. There are at least 1300 scientifically described
making it one of the largest vertebrate
families. Numerous new species are discovered annually, and many species remain undescribed. The actual number of species is therefore unclear, with estimates varying between 1,300 and 3,000 species.
Cichlids span a wide range of body sizes, from species as small as 2.5 centimetres (1.0 in) in length (e.g., female Neolamprologus multifasciatus
) to much larger species approaching 1 metre (3 ft) in length (e.g. Boulengerochromis
). As a group, cichlids exhibit a similarly wide diversity of body shapes, ranging from strongly laterally compressed species (such as Altolamprologus
, and Symphysodon
) through to species that are cylindrical and highly elongate (such as Julidochromis
, and Gobiocichla
Generally, however, cichlids tend to be of medium size, ovate in shape and slightly laterally compressed, and generally very similar to the North American sunfishes
in terms of morphology, behaviour, and ecology.
are a genus
) of fish belonging to the family Syngnathidae
, which also includes pipefish
and leafy sea dragons
. There are over 32 species of seahorse, mainly found in shallow tropical and temperate waters throughout the world. They prefer to live in sheltered areas such as sea grass beds, coral reefs, or mangroves. Colonies have been found in European waters such as the Thames Estuary
. From North America
down to South America
there are approximately four species, ranging from very small in size (dwarf seahorses
are only about an inch long) to those much larger, found off the Pacific Coast of Central America (the foot-long Hippocampus ingens
). Hippocampus erectus
are larger seahorses found anywhere from Nova Scotia
down to around Uruguay
. Three different species of seehorse live in the Mediterranean Sea
: Hippocampus hippocampus (long snout), Hippocampus brevirostris (short snout) and Hippocampus fuscus (immigrated from the Red Sea
). These fish form territories, with males staying in about one square meter of their habitat while females range about one hundred times that area. They bob around in sea grass meadows, mangrove stands, and coral reefs where they are camouflaged by murky brown and grey patterns that blend into the sea grass backgrounds. During social moments or in unusual surroundings, seahorses turn bright colors.
Here are some tasks you can do, as organized by the WikiProject Aquarium Fishes, if you are interested, please sign up on the project page. You are welcome to also add new tasks or remove the old ones.
- Copyedit: Fire eel, Tetra, Lionchu, Blackline penguinfish, Flowerhorn, Pterophyllum, Chinese hillstream loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis), Violet line piranha
- Expand: Yellow-tailed Damselfish, Gold Spot Pleco, List of aquarium diseases, Headstander, Brachygobius, Red-tailed black shark, Osphronemus, Freshwater aquarium, Thick-Lipped Gourami, Pseudochromis diadema, Striped Raphael catfish, Platydoras, Twospot turkeyfish, Agamyxis, Red eye tetra, Saddleback clownfish,Hemigrammus pulcher, Emperor tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), Flying Fox (fish) (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus), Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum), Myxocyprinus asiaticusMacrognathus siamensis, Badis badis
- Add taxobox:
- Develop featured article: Aquarium, Cichlid
- Peer review: Arius berneyi Berney's shark catfish
- Article request: We're trying to clean up the species list bit by bit. We're currently on Catfish. Australian shark catfish Arius graeffei, Two spot glass catfish Ompok bimaculatus, Spotted pimelodus
- Picture request: Aquascaping, Clown knifefish, Peters' elephantnose fish, Buenos Aires tetra, Croaking gourami, Pygmy gourami, Fire eel, Zebra pleco, Hypancistrus, Sorubim, Brachyplatystoma, Xenomystus nigri, Peckoltia, Hemiancistrus,Snakeskin gourami, Farlowella acus (current images are copyrighted), Farlowella (current image is copyrighted), Brachygobius xanthozona, Brachygobius, Columbian Tetra, Tire track eel, Agamyxis, Pseudomystus, Bagrichthys, Leiarius, Dekeyseria, Leporacanthicus, Pseudacanthicus, Acanthicus, Hoplosternum littorale, Callichthys callichthys, Scleromystax (Upload any non-copyrighted fish images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Identify species in the picture: (Identify and move the images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Collaboration: Fishkeeping
- Other: See the Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Aquarium Fishes/to do page
If you have any question, comment or suggestion, please discuss here.