Aquarium fish are any species of fish that can be kept in a tank, aquarium, or other simulated habitat. The practise of keeping fish as pets has been going on for many years. The Chinese brought goldfish indoors during the Song Dynasty to enjoy them in large ceramic vessels. Aquarium keeping is enjoyed by experts and novices alike.
is any aquatic vertebrate
animal that is typically ectothermic
(or cold-blooded), covered with scales
, and equipped with two sets of paired fins
and several unpaired fins. Fish are abundant in the sea
and in fresh water, with species being known from mountain streams (e.g., char
) as well as in the deepest depths of the ocean
Food prepared from fish is also called fish, and it is an important food source for humans. They are harvested either from wild fisheries (see fishing) or farmed in much the same way as cattle or chickens (see aquaculture). They are also exploited by recreational fishers and fishkeepers, and are exhibited in public aquaria. Fish have had a role in many cultures through the ages, ranging from deities and religious symbols to the subjects of books and popular movies.
are a genus
) of fish belonging to the family Syngnathidae
, which also includes pipefish
and leafy sea dragons
. There are over 32 species of seahorse, mainly found in shallow tropical and temperate waters throughout the world. They prefer to live in sheltered areas such as sea grass beds, coral reefs, or mangroves. Colonies have been found in European waters such as the Thames Estuary
From North America
down to South America
there are approximately four species, ranging from very small in size (dwarf seahorses
are only about an inch long) to those much larger, found off the Pacific Coast of Central America (the foot-long Hippocampus ingens
). Hippocampus erectus
are larger seahorses found anywhere from Nova Scotia
down to around Uruguay
. Three different species of seehorse live in the Mediterranean Sea
: Hippocampus hippocampus (long snout), Hippocampus brevirostris (short snout) and Hippocampus fuscus (immigrated from the Red Sea
). These fish form territories, with males staying in about one square meter of their habitat while females range about one hundred times that area. They bob around in sea grass meadows, mangrove stands, and coral reefs where they are camouflaged by murky brown and grey patterns that blend into the sea grass backgrounds. During social moments or in unusual surroundings, seahorses turn bright colors.
Here are some tasks you can do, as organized by the WikiProject Aquarium Fishes, if you are interested, please sign up on the project page. You are welcome to also add new tasks or remove the old ones.
- Copyedit: Fire eel, Tetra, Lionchu, Blackline penguinfish, Flowerhorn, Pterophyllum, Chinese hillstream loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis), Violet line piranha
- Expand: Yellow-tailed Damselfish, Gold Spot Pleco, List of aquarium diseases, Headstander, Brachygobius, Red-tailed black shark, Osphronemus, Freshwater aquarium, Thick-Lipped Gourami, Pseudochromis diadema, Striped Raphael catfish, Platydoras, Twospot turkeyfish, Agamyxis, Red eye tetra, Saddleback clownfish,Hemigrammus pulcher, Emperor tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), Flying Fox (fish) (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus), Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum), Myxocyprinus asiaticusMacrognathus siamensis, Badis badis
- Add taxobox:
- Develop featured article: Aquarium, Cichlid
- Peer review: Arius berneyi Berney's shark catfish
- Article request: We're trying to clean up the species list bit by bit. We're currently on Catfish. Australian shark catfish Arius graeffei, Two spot glass catfish Ompok bimaculatus, Spotted pimelodus
- Picture request: Aquascaping, Clown knifefish, Peters' elephantnose fish, Buenos Aires tetra, Croaking gourami, Pygmy gourami, Fire eel, Zebra pleco, Hypancistrus, Sorubim, Brachyplatystoma, Xenomystus nigri, Peckoltia, Hemiancistrus,Snakeskin gourami, Farlowella acus (current images are copyrighted), Farlowella (current image is copyrighted), Brachygobius xanthozona, Brachygobius, Columbian Tetra, Tire track eel, Agamyxis, Pseudomystus, Bagrichthys, Leiarius, Dekeyseria, Leporacanthicus, Pseudacanthicus, Acanthicus, Hoplosternum littorale, Callichthys callichthys, Scleromystax (Upload any non-copyrighted fish images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Identify species in the picture: (Identify and move the images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Collaboration: Fishkeeping
- Other: See the Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Aquarium Fishes/to do page
If you have any question, comment or suggestion, please discuss here.