From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Buses Portal
A bus (archaically also omnibus, multibus, or autobus) is a road vehicle designed to carry passengers. Buses can have a capacity as high as 300 passengers. The most common type of bus is the single-decker rigid bus, with larger loads carried by double-decker buses and articulated buses, and smaller loads carried by midibuses and minibuses; coaches are used for longer distance services.
Bus manufacturing is increasingly globalised, with the same design appearing around the world.
Buses may be used for scheduled bus transport, scheduled coach transport, school transport, private hire, tourism; promotional buses may be used for political campaigns and others are privately operated for a wide range of purposes.
Horse drawn buses were used from 1820, followed by steam buses in the 1830 and electric trolleybuses in 1882. The first buses powered by internal combustion engines were used 1895 and this is still the most common power source. Recently there has been growing interest in hybrid electric buses, fuel cell buses, electric buses as well as ones powered by compressed natural gas or bio-diesel.
- ... that Transdev Melbourne will take over operation of 30% of Melbourne, Australia's bus network in August 2013?
- .... that French manufacturer Vétra built trolleybuses (example pictured) for transit systems in 12 countries, on three continents?
Here are some tasks you can do
- Article requests: Bucks County Transportation Management Association, Fahslabend trolleybus switch, Fredericksburg Regional Transit, Hino Grand View, Krapf Transit
- Assess: pages here and here.
- Expand: Mitsubishi Fuso Aero King, Portal:Bus, Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum
- Photo: Category:Bus transport articles needing images
- Stubs: Nissan Diesel Space Dream, Citrus Connection, Escambia County Area Transit, Space Coast Area Transit, Winter Haven Area Transit, Busscar, Chicken bus, Neoplan Megaliner
- Verify: Bus garage, Bus lane, Bus priority, Bus rapid transit, Bus terminus, Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel, Hail and ride, Implementation of bus rapid transit
- Other: Represent a worldwide view of Coach (vehicle)
All A-class articles are also recognized as Good articles.