From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CARS PORTAL
or automobile is a wheeled passenger vehicle
that carries its own motor
. Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to have seating for between one and six people, typically have four wheels and be constructed principally for the transport of people rather than goods. This definition includes cars and smaller SUVs
- but not motorcycles
. The term automobile
is derived from Greek 'auto-'
("self") and Latin 'mobilis'
("movable"), referring to the fact that it "moves by itself".
The Talbot Tagora is an executive car developed by Chrysler Europe and produced by Peugeot Société Anonyme (PSA). The Tagora was marketed under the Talbot marque after PSA took over Chrysler's European operations in 1979. PSA presented the first production vehicle in 1980 and launched it commercially in 1981. The Tagora fell far short of sales expectations, and PSA cancelled the model only two years later. Fewer than 20,000 Tagoras were ever built, all of them at the former Simca factory in the Poissy commune near Paris, France.
Chrysler Europe began the development of the Tagora in 1976, under the code name C9, with the goal of replacing the unsuccessful Chrysler 180 series. Following the same development pattern as with the Horizon and Alpine models, the responsibility for the Tagora's technical development remained in France, while the styling was devised at Chrysler's design centre in the United Kingdom. An early proposal for the name of the car was "Simca 2000". (more...)
Other selected articles
- ...that the racing version of the Dauer 962 Le Mans, winner of 1994 24 Hours of Le Mans, is a roadcar converted from a Porsche 962 racecar, which dominated Le Mans, Group C and IMSA during the 1980s.
- ...that the 25 Millionth VW Golf rolled off the production line in Wolfsburg in March 2007. The first Golf started production in 1974, 33 years later the 1.4 litre TSI version became the 25 Millionth car.
- ...that the nearly identical Ford Model T engines were produced for exactly 12,000 days
- ...that the first production turbocharged cars were General Motors' A-body 1962 Chevrolet Corvair and Oldsmobile F-85?
- ...that Jeep introduced the 1993 Grand Cherokee and 2007 Wrangler in the same way — by driving them through a plate glass window?
- ...that a small number of Renault 20s, badged as Dacia 2000, were made in the 1980s by Dacia in Romania for Romanian communist dignitaries of that time?
- ...that the Autobianchi Primula was the Fiat's first automobile with the front-wheel drive, transverse engine setup and rack and pinion steering?
- ...that the Plymouth Sundance is a liftback, even though the outside appearance might suggest that it is a sedan?
Ferrari launches oddly-named 'LaFerrari'
2013-5-12 , Ferrari has launched a new hypercar, the LaFerrari. Only 499 will be made, so most people won't get to drive it. It is the fastest Ferrari ever! It is 1255 kg with a 41:59 front-to-rear weight distribution. It can go from 0-100 in less than three seconds, and if you keep going, it will reach speeds near 350km/h! Powering it to such insane speeds is a naturally-aspirated 6.2-litre V12 that makes 789 bhp! There's also an electric motor, giving it a total of 949 bhp! Insane! And if you're wondering, all 499 are sold.
Nicolaus August Otto (June 14, 1832 Holzhausen, Nassau - January 26, 1891 Cologne) was the German inventor of the internal-combustion engine, the first engine to burn fuel directly in a piston chamber. Up until his invention, all engines were external-combustion engines and fuel was burned in a separate compartment.
In 1864, Otto co-founded an engine manufacturing business in Cologne. Along with his business partner Eugen Langen he established “N.A. Otto & Cie.”. This company exists today as “Deutz AG”, who boasts the fact that they are the world's oldest engine manufacturers, with over 140 years of experience. (more...)
Things you can do to help
If you wish to help, you can:
- - There are many short articles that require additional information.
- - The car news needs to be up-to-date with current automotive events.
- - Add a great biography to the portal.
- - We need pictures of the beautiful cars the world has to offer.
- - Upload picture for requested photographs of cars
- - A place dedicated for enthusiasts dedicated to improving automobile coverage.
- - Famous quotes from the past.