The Eurovision Song Contest Portal
The Eurovision Song Contest (French: Concours Eurovision de la Chanson) is an annual competition held among active member countries of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).
Each member country submits a song to be performed on live television and then casts votes for the other countries' songs to determine the most popular song in the competition. The Contest has been broadcast every year since its inauguration in 1956 and is one of the longest-running television programmes in the world. It is also one of the most watched non-sporting events in the world, with audience figures having been quoted in recent years as anything between 100 million and 600 million internationally. Eurovision has also been broadcast outside Europe to such places as Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, New Zealand, the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, the United States, Uruguay and Venezuela despite the fact that that they do not compete. Since 2000, the Contest has also been broadcast over the Internet, with more than 74,000 people in almost 140 countries having watched the 2006 edition online.
The Eurovision Song Contest 2007
was the 52nd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest
. It was won by Serbia
and was held at the Hartwall Areena
from 10 May (semi-final) to 12 May (final). The hosting broadcaster of the contest was YLE
. Finland earned the right to host the event thanks to the heavy metal
winning the Eurovision Song Contest 2006
as Finland's representatives. It meant that the Eurovision Song Contest 2007 was to be staged in Finland for the first time. The hosts were popular Finnish television personality Jaana Pelkonen
and Finnish musician, stage performer and actor Mikko Leppilampi
, with Krisse Salminen
in the green room
. The European Broadcasting Union
and YLE announced that the theme for the 2007 contest would be “True Fantasy”, which embraced Finland and Finnishness in terms of the polarities associated with the country. The design agency “Dog Design” was responsible for the design of the visual theme of the contest which incorporated vibrant kaleidoscopic
patterns formed from various symbols including exclamation marks and the letter "F". On 20 February 2007 a reworked official website for the contest was launched marking the first public exhibition of this year's theme.
Countries in the Eurovision Song Contest
Place your cursor over a country on the map image below and click on it to access that country's Eurovision article. Or alternatively, see the flag icons below the map for a full list of participating countries.
Eurovision Song Contest news
- 25 May 2012: The "jury" dress rehearsal for the grand final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 takes place.
- 24 May 2012: Lithuania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, the Ukraine, Sweden, Macedonia, Norway, Estonia, Malta and Turkey are announced as the ten qualifiers for the grand final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2012.
- 23 May 2012: The "jury" dress rehearsal for the second semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 takes place.
- 22 May 2012: Romania, Moldova, Iceland, Hungary, Denmark, Albania, Cyprus, Malta, Russia and Ireland are announced as the ten qualifiers for the grand final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2012.
- 21 May 2012: The "jury" dress rehearsal for the first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 takes place.
- 21 May 2012: The BBC airs a controversial edition of Panorama over human rights abuses in host country; Azerbaijan as buildings are allegedly demolished to make way for the building of the venue, the Baku Crystal Hall.