Harry Potter is a series of fictional books by English author J. K. Rowling about a boy named Harry Potter, a lonely individual living with his aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, who treat him like a prisoner. Although, on his eleventh birthday Harry receives a visit from Hagrid who in turn tells Harry that he is a wizard and from this opens up a whole new world for Harry. The main summary concerns Harry's struggle of survival against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort as well as conquering him. Lord Voldemort is the person who killed Harry's parents in his quest to conquer the wizarding world and subjugate Muggles to his rule. Since the release of the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (retitled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the United States) in 1997, the books have gained immense popularity, critical acclaim and commercial success worldwide, spawning films, video games and assorted merchandise. J.K. Rowling offers readers imagination beyond our wildest dreams, a world of magic, mystical creatures with suspense and comedy to top it off, Harry Potter books are great for all ages. The seven books published to date have collectively sold more than 400 million copies and have been translated into more than 67 languages, and the last four books have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history, just under the Bible and William Shakespeare.
- That possible titles for Book 7 were "Harry Potter and the Elder Wand" and "Harry Potter and the Peverell Quest"?
- That Fred and George Weasley were born on April Fools' Day?
- That J. K. Rowling, author of the books, was born on July 31, the same date Harry Potter was born? (Note: JKR was born in 1965, while Harry was born in 1980)
- That the Hogwarts school motto, Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus, is Latin for "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon?"
- That Dumbledore means "Bumblebee" in Old English?
- That Severus means "severe" in Latin?
- That George Weasley marries Angelina Johnson, Fred's Yule Ball date, and has 2 children, Fred and Roxanne Weasley?
- That a few of the names from the books are actually names of constellations? For example, Sirius is the name for the Dog Star (Canis Major) and Lupus (or Lupin, in the book) is the constellation of a wolf.
- That the original release date for the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film (21 November 2008) was pushed back to July 2009? Instead, the movie Twilight was put in its original release date.
- That Hermione Granger's original last name was 'Puckle', but was changed by Rowling before the book was released?
- That Draco is Latin for dragon, and the first part of his last name, "mal," means "evil," so if "Draco Mal" was translated to to English it would mean "evil dragon?"
- That Dumbledore saw himself with his sister, Ariana Dumbledore, (not a pair of socks like it says in Book 1) when he saw himself in the Mirror Of Erised. He always feels guilty about it because he feels that he is responsible for her death.
- Hermione Granger: "Ron, you're the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet."
- Severus Snape: "No-one cheeks me like that. Not even the Chosen one."
- Albus Dumbledore:"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
- Luna Lovegood: "A Wrackspurt - they're invisible, they float in through your ears and make your brain go fuzzy," she said. "I thought I felt one zooming around in here."
- Harry Potter: "I don't know who Maxime thinks she's kidding. If Hagrid's half-giant, she definitely is. Big bones... the only thing that's got bigger bones than her is a dinosaur."
- Draco Malfoy: "Longbottom, if brains were gold, you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something."
- Severus Snape: "Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"
- The Marauder's Map: "Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business." "Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git." "Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that Professor Snape ever became a professor."
- Ginny Weasley: "There's the silver lining I've been looking for," [When Harry admits dating possibilities on the run are pretty slim].
- Hermione Granger: "Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed, before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed — or worse, expelled."
- Sirius Black: "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
- Hermione Granger: "It's kind of fun isn't it ... breaking the rules." Ron Weasley: "Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger!"
- Ron Weasley: "Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?"
- Ron Weasley: "IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I'LL KILL YOU, HARRY!"
- Ron Weasley: "Oh, she was perfect, obviously. Perfect deliberation, divination, and desperation, or whatever the hell it is."
- Minerva McGonagall: "We'll risk it, Sybill," said Professor McGonagall impatiently. "Do sit down, the turkey's getting stone cold."
- Professor Lupin: "Hermione!" said Lupin, startled. "What's the matter?" Hermione Granger: "P-P-Professor McGonagall!" Hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "Sh-she said I'd failed everything!"
- Albus Dumbledore : "As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all. The trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them...."
- Harry Potter: "I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."
- Lord Voldemort: "His mother left upon him the traces of her sacrifice.... This is old magic, I should have remembered it, I was foolish to overlook it...but no matter, I can touch him now."
- Remus Lupin: “That suggests that what you fear most of all is...fear. Very wise, Harry...”
- Moaning Myrtle: "Let's all throw books at Myrtle, because she can't feel it! Ten points if you can get it though her stomach! Fifty points if it goes through her head!"
- Albus Dumbledore: "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth...."
- Rubeus Hagrid: "Ah, well, people can be stupid abou' their pets...."
- Moaning Myrtle: "Oh, Harry...well...I'd just been thinking...if you die down there, you're welcome to share my toilet...."
- Albus Dumbledore:"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Harry Potter:"For the first time in your life, you're talking sense."
- Minerva McGonagall: "I do not want the house of Godric gryffindor to behave like a Bambling Bumbling Band of Baboons."
Hermione Jean Granger (born 19 September, 1979), was the daughter of Muggle dentists Mr. and Mrs. Granger. She learned, at the age of eleven, that she was a witch and had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She was sorted into Gryffindor House.
An academically brilliant student, Hermione became best friends with fellow students Harry Potter, and Ronald Weasley, in her first year of school. The three first met on the Hogwarts Express, Ron and Harry thought of her as obnoxious and self-centered, a belief that she only furthered as the school year went on. However, when Ron and Harry saved her from a troll, she took the blame for them and became their friend. In her second year, Hermione was one of the victims of the basilisk (a snake) that was unleashed upon Hogwarts with the opening of the Chamber of Secrets, but recovered from being petrified. The following year, Hermione was given permission to use a Time-Turner to facilitate her attending more classes than other students in which she and Harry later used to save Sirius Black from receiving the Dementor's Kiss, and Buckbeak the Hippogriff from death. Hermione became an advocate for the better treatment of house-elves, forming the association S.P.E.W., in her fourth year. In 1995 (her fifth year), she was the driving force behind the creation of Dumbledore's Army, and fought in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in 1996, and in the Battle of the Astronomy Tower and the Battle over Little Whinging in 1997. Hermione, as well as Ron, decided to forgo their last year of school in order to accompany Harry on his quest to find and destroy Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes, and later fought in the Battle of Hogwarts, and survived the war.
Later in life she went on to marry Ronald "Ron" Bilius Weasley
, with whom she has two children. The eldest is a girl named Rose and the smallest, a boy named Hugo. She is Godmother to Harry and Ginny Potter's first born son James Sirius Potter
• Read More...
- July 15, 2009: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is released, grossing a record breaking $104 million worldwide in a single day.
- The date for The Deathly Hallows Part two has been changed to July 15th 2011.
- 2008: Warner Bros. announces that the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" film will be released on July 15, 2009 instead of the original date; November 21, 2008.
- July 31, 2008: Scolastic announces in a press release that The Tales of Beedle the Bard will be published on December 4, 2008 with proceeds going to charity. 
- March 13, 2008: Warner Brothers announced that the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie will be released in two parts. Part 1 will be released in November 2010 and Part 2 will be released in May 2011. 
- July 21, 2007: The Deathly Hallows was released at midnight
- MuggleNet: This site has news, information, games, editorials, and media, with a featured Podcast. 
- HPANA (Harry Potter Automatic News Aggregator) This site has news collected from most Harry Potter sites on the Internet and updates often .
- The Leaky Cauldron: This site is a news site which features a huge picture gallery, a new video gallery, and also its own podcast. 
- Harry Potter Merchandise: This site offers Harry Potter collectibles including books, DVDs, LEGOs, video games, trading cards, movies and clothing.
- WB Shop: Official Warner Brothers Harry Potter merchandise
Role Playing Sites
Harry Potter Casts' official websites
Here are some tasks you can do
- Merge articles that we have agreed to merge at Notability
- Work on pages in our improvement drive to bring them to GA or FA status
- Remove original research from every article that has it
- Check the to do list for the Harry Potter article to help get it to FA
- Improve plot sections in accordance with WP:WAF
- Perform some much-needed work on fair use images
- Help expand content at the Muggles' Guide
- Expand factual subsections of HP book pages (such as editions and translations)
- Add critical reviews to all book pages
- Main WikiProject:
- Other related WikiProjects: