Commander James Bond, also known as 007, is a fictional British secret service agent created by journalist, naval officer and author Ian Fleming, for the debut novel Casino Royale in 1953. He is the main protagonist of the James Bond series of novels, which consists of twelve novels and two short story collections published between 1953 and 1966, although the last two books—The Man with the Golden Gun and Octopussy and The Living Daylights—were published posthumously. Following Ian Fleming's death in 1964, many continuation novels or novelizations by Kingsley Amis, Christopher Wood, John Gardner, Raymond Benson, Sebastian Faulks and Jeffery Deaver were published; a series of Young Bond novels has also been written by Charlie Higson.
Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman's Eon Productions started a series of Bond film in 1962, with the release of Dr. No. Since then the Bond series has become one of the most successful and lucrative in the film industry spanning 23 films. There have also been two films produced by independent companies and one television adaptation. Seven actors have portrayed agent 007 on film: Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig; he was also portrayed by Barry Nelson in the 1954 television adaptation Casino Royale.
In addition to novels and films, Bond is a prominent character in many comic strips and computer and video games and has been the subject of many parodies.
From Russia with Love
, released in 1963, is the second film
in the James Bond series
, and the second to star Sean Connery
agent James Bond
. The film was produced by Albert R. Broccoli
and Harry Saltzman
, and directed by Terence Young
. It is based on the 1957 novel of the same name
by Ian Fleming
. In the film, James Bond is sent to Turkey
to assist in the defection of Corporal Tatiana Romanova
, where SPECTRE
plans to avenge the killing of Dr. No
From Russia with Love is considered the best film in the James Bond series by many critics and by Connery himself, and is still highly regarded more than 40 years after its release. Michael G. Wilson, the current co-producer of the series, stated "We always start out trying to make another From Russia with Love and end up with another Thunderball." In 2004, Total Film magazine named it the ninth-greatest British film of all time.
In 2005, the film was adapted into a video game, James Bond 007: From Russia with Love. Produced by Electronic Arts, the game featured all-new voice work by Sean Connery as well as his likeness and those of several of the film's supporting cast.
is a Scottish
group formed in Madison
, in 1994
. The band consists of Scottish-born Shirley Manson
and Americans Duke Erikson
, Steve Marker
and Butch Vig
, and has counted worldwide album sales of over 12 million units.
Garbage released a string of increasingly successful singles in 1995–1996, including "Stupid Girl". Their debut album, Garbage, was an Sleeper hit, selling over 4 million copies in the UK, USA and Australia. Garbage won the Breakthrough Artist award at the 1996 MTV Europe Music Awards.
Garbage spent two years working on follow-up album, Version 2.0, which topped the charts in the UK upon its 1998 release and the following year was nominated for two Grammy Awards, Album of the Year and Best Rock Album. Version 2.0 went on to match the sales of its predecessor. Garbage followed this up by performing and co-producing the theme song to the movie The World Is Not Enough.
- ...that Duran Duran was chosen to do the song A View to a Kill after bassist John Taylor (a lifelong Bond fan) approached producer Cubby Broccoli at a party, and somewhat drunkenly asked "When are you going to get someone decent to do one of your theme songs?"
- 1 May - The SilverFin graphic novel is released in the UK.
- 28 May - Devil May Care, an adult Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks, will be released in honour of the centenary of Ian Fleming's birth.
- September - By Royal Command, the fifth Young Bond novel by Charlie Higson, is released in the UK.
- The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling, by Samantha Weinberg, released in the UK.
- 7 November - Quantum of Solace is released in cinemas.
- Autumn - A Limited Edition Collected Works of Ian Fleming was published by Queen Anne Press, including all the Bond novels and short stories as well as some previously unpublished material collected as Talk of The Devil.
- October-November - The Quantum of Solace video game was released for Windows, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.
Questions about James Bond?
Can't answer your question?
Don't understand the answer?