Commander James Bond, also known as 007, is a fictional British secret service agent created by journalist, naval officer and author Ian Fleming, for the debut novel Casino Royale in 1953. He is the main protagonist of the James Bond series of novels, which consists of twelve novels and two short story collections published between 1953 and 1966, although the last two books—The Man with the Golden Gun and Octopussy and The Living Daylights—were published posthumously. Following Ian Fleming's death in 1964, many continuation novels or novelizations by Kingsley Amis, Christopher Wood, John Gardner, Raymond Benson, Sebastian Faulks and Jeffery Deaver were published; a series of Young Bond novels has also been written by Charlie Higson.
Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman's Eon Productions started a series of Bond film in 1962, with the release of Dr. No. Since then the Bond series has become one of the most successful and lucrative in the film industry spanning 23 films. There have also been two films produced by independent companies and one television adaptation. Seven actors have portrayed agent 007 on film: Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig; he was also portrayed by Barry Nelson in the 1954 television adaptation Casino Royale.
In addition to novels and films, Bond is a prominent character in many comic strips and computer and video games and has been the subject of many parodies.
(born John Price
; June 1, 1947) is a Tony Award
-winning Welsh stage
actor/singer. After studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
and marrying Irish
actress Kate Fahy
in 1974, he began his career as a stage actor in the late 1970s. His work in theatre, including an award-winning performance in the title role of the Royal Court Theatre
, led to several supporting roles in film and television. His breakthrough screen performance came in Terry Gilliam
's 1985 cult film Brazil
Known for his versatility, Pryce has participated in box-office hits such as Evita, Tomorrow Never Dies, Pirates of the Caribbean and The New World, as well as independent projects such as Glengarry Glen Ross and Carrington. His career in theatre has also been prolific, and he has won two Tony Awards—the first in 1977 for his Broadway debut in Comedians, the second for his 1991 role as "the Engineer" in the musical Miss Saigon.
- 1 May - The SilverFin graphic novel is released in the UK.
- 28 May - Devil May Care, an adult Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks, will be released in honour of the centenary of Ian Fleming's birth.
- September - By Royal Command, the fifth Young Bond novel by Charlie Higson, is released in the UK.
- The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling, by Samantha Weinberg, released in the UK.
- 7 November - Quantum of Solace is released in cinemas.
- Autumn - A Limited Edition Collected Works of Ian Fleming was published by Queen Anne Press, including all the Bond novels and short stories as well as some previously unpublished material collected as Talk of The Devil.
- October-November - The Quantum of Solace video game was released for Windows, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.
Questions about James Bond?
Can't answer your question?
Don't understand the answer?