Portal:Jane Austen/Did you know/archive
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ... that the novels of Jane Austen became popular with the public only after the publication of A Memoir of Jane Austen in 1869?
- ... that Jane Austen's novels increased dramatically in popularity after the publication of her nephew's A Memoir of Jane Austen in 1870?
- ... that Rudyard Kipling wrote a short story about a group of World War I soldiers who were committed Janeites, that is, fans of Jane Austen novels?
- ... that Belton House, a Carolean country house in Lincolnshire, was featured as the residence of Fitzwilliam Darcy's aunt in the TV version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice?
- ... that Rear-Admiral Charles Austen′s family included Admiral of the Fleet Francis Austen, and the novelist Jane Austen?
- ... that Jane Austen's novel Sense and Sensibility is a critique of Charlotte Turner Smith's novel of sensibility Celestina?
- ... that the vicar of St John the Baptist's Church, Allington in Wiltshire was engaged to Cassandra, sister of Jane Austen, but he died before he could marry her?
- ... that Jane Austen's brother, Francis, captured two French merchant ships and fought off their escorts while captaining the sloop-of-war HMS Peterel?
- ... that the parody novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies combines Jane Austen's 1813 classic, Pride and Prejudice, with elements of zombie fiction?
- ... that Jane Austen began writing her novel Pride and Prejudice (originally named First Impressions) after staying with her brother at Goodnestone Park, Kent, in 1796?
- ... that during the 1995 filming of BBC's Persuasion, the crew often had to compete for props and costumes with fellow BBC and Jane Austen adaptation Pride and Prejudice?
- ... that Jon Hunter Spence, author of the 2003 book Becoming Jane Austen, was born in the U.S. state of Georgia but died an Australian citizen?
- ... that the entire production team of Andrew Davies' 1995 serial Pride and Prejudice followed him when he began adapting the TV serial Emma for ITV?
- ... that after screenwriter Sarah Williams approached Ecosse Films about making Becoming Jane, the company hired Kevin Hood to further develop its script?