Portal:New Brunswick

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The New Brunswick Portal

Flag of New Brunswick.svg
New Brunswick, Canada.svg
New Brunswick (French: Nouveau-Brunswick; pronounced: [nuvobʁɔnzwik]) is one of Canada's three Maritime provinces and is the only constitutionally bilingual province (English and French) in the federation. The provincial capital is Fredericton. Statistics Canada estimates the provincial population in 2009 to be 750,457; a majority are English-speaking, but there is also a large Francophone minority (33%), chiefly of Acadian origin.

The province's name comes from the English and French partial transcription of the city of Braunschweig in northern Germany (and former duchy of the same name), the ancestral home of the Hanoverian King George III of the United Kingdom.

In the 2001 Canadian census, the most commonly reported ethnicities were 193,470 French (26.9%); 165,235 English (23.0%); 135,835 Irish (18.9%); 127,635 Scottish (17.7%); 27,490 German (3.8%); 26,220 Acadians (3.6%); 23,815 "North American Indian" (First Nations) (3.3%); 13,355 Dutch (Netherlands) (1.9%); and 7,620 Welsh (1.1%). It should be noted that 242,220 people (33.7%) identified themselves as simply "Canadian" or "Canadien," while 173,585 (24.1%) also selected another ethnicity—for a total of 415,810 (57.8%) calling themselves Canadian. (Each person could choose more than one ethnicity.)

NB flag-contour.png More about...New Brunswick, its history and diversity
Show new selections (purge)

Selected article - show another

North Side Of JC Van Horne Bridge.jpg

New Brunswick is bounded on the north by Quebec's Gaspé Peninsula and Chaleur Bay and on the east by the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and Northumberland Strait. To the south, the narrow Isthmus of Chignecto connects it to peninsular Nova Scotia, most of which is separated from the mainland by the Bay of Fundy. On its west, the province borders the American state of Maine. The boundary with the U.S. was settled during the "Aroostook War" of 1838-39 which was largely instigated by businessman and political activist John Baker. New Brunswick is one of two provinces (the other being Alberta) to border a single U.S. state.

The total land and water area of the province is 72,908 square kilometres. About 80% of the province is forested, with the other 20% consisting of agricultural land and urban areas. The major urban centres lie in the south of the province. The bulk of the arable land is found in the Upper St. John River Valley, with lesser amounts of farmland found in the southeast of the province.

Read more...

Selected picture - show another

Water Street St. Andrews July 2008.jpg
St. Andrews (2006 population: 1,798) is a Canadian town in Charlotte County, New Brunswick. It is sometimes referred to in tourism marketing by its unofficial nickname "St. Andrews-by-the-sea". St. Andrews was founded in 1783 by United Empire Loyalists and named in honour of St Andrews, Scotland. The town is well preserved, with many original buildings still in place (some of which were floated to the town on barges from Castine, Maine at the end of the Revolutionary War).
Read more...

Selected biography - show another

Molly Lamb Bobak painting.jpg
Molly Lamb Bobak, CM, ONB is a prolific Canadian teacher, writer, printmaker and painter working in oils and watercolours. During World War II, she was the first Canadian woman artist to be sent overseas to document Canada’s war effort, and in particular, the work of the Canadian Women's Army Corps (C.W.A.C). Bruno was offered a position teaching at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton. Bruno settled in Fredericton, where she continues to live.
Read more...

New Brunswick category

To display all subcategories click on the ►

Did you know? - show another

Selected panoramic picture - show another

Stjohnpanoramo.jpg
Saint John skyline and the Brunswick Square Office Tower (middle), the tallest building in Saint John.

Topics

Wikipedia:WikiProject New Brunswick
WikiProject New Brunswick

In the news

Wikinews Canada title.png

Related portals

Topics Provinces & Territories Cities & Regions

Canada Canada
Canada flag map.svg Geography of Canada
Canadian Coat of Arms Shield.svg  History of Canada
Canadian Forces emblem.svg Canadian Forces
Can-vote-stub.svg  Politics of Canada
Tower-wireless-can.png  Music of Canada
CanadaSoccer.svg  Sports of Canada
Trans-Canada Highway shield.svg  Roads of Canada
Volcanism of Canada flag.png Volcanism of Canada
Royal Standard of King Louis XIV.svg New France
Flag of Acadia.svg  Acadia
Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics Example.svg Aboriginals

Ontario  Ontario
Quebec  Quebec
Nova Scotia  Nova Scotia
New Brunswick  New Brunswick
Manitoba  Manitoba
British Columbia  British Columbia
Prince Edward Island  P.E.I.
Saskatchewan  Saskatchewan
Alberta  Alberta
Newfoundland and Labrador  Newfoundland & Labrador
Northwest Territories  Northwest Territories
Yukon  Yukon
Nunavut  Nunavut

Flag of Ottawa, Ontario.svg  Ottawa
Toronto Flag.svg  Toronto
Flag of Vancouver (Canada).svg  Vancouver
Flag of Calgary, Alberta.svg  Calgary
Edmonton City Hall.jpg  Edmonton
Flag of Hamilton.svg  Hamilton
Flag of Montreal.svg  Montreal
Flag of Quebec City.svg  Quebec City
City of St. John's.jpg  St. John's
Coat of arms of Québec.svg  Quebec Regions
EasternOntario.png  Eastern Ont.
YorkRegion.png  York Region
Arctic Ocean.jpg  Arctic

Associated Wikimedia

The following Wikimedia sister projects provide more on this subject:

Wikibooks  Wikimedia Commons Wikinews  Wikiquote  Wikisource  Wikiversity  Wikivoyage  Wiktionary  Wikidata 
Manuals and books Images and media News Quotations Texts Learning resources Travel guides Definitions Database


Purge server cache