Portal:Oz/DYK archive 1
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ...that L. Frank Baum tried to end the Oz series on several occasions, but due to their popularity he continued writing them until his death?
- that in the original book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Dorothy wears silver shoes, not ruby slippers?
- ...that Russian author Alexander Volkov not only translated The Wonderful Wizard of Oz into Russian, but also wrote a series of original sequels?
- ...that L. Frank Baum also wrote a series of books for teenaged girls under the pseudonym Edith Van Dyne?
- ...that although the 1921 Oz book The Royal Book of Oz was originally attributed to L. Frank Baum, it was actually entirely written by Ruth Plumly Thompson?
- ...that Buddy Ebsen (of Beverly Hillbillies fame) was originally cast to play the Tin Man, but due to an allergic reaction to the metallic make-up, had to back out?
- ...that Oz writer Jack Snow once wrote a short story entitled "A Murder in Oz" for Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine?
- ...that the ruby slippers Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz sold at auction for US$666,000 in 2002?
- ...that the cyclone in the 1939 film was really a giant spinning burlap sock?
- ...that L. Frank Baum's first name was Lyman?