Portal:Pittsburgh/On this day/January 17
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- (1899) Rep. Stone becomes governor.
- (1911) Pirates great John Tener becomes governor.
- (1924) Panther fans hurl pennies on the floor after Doc Carlson's "figure 8" defense produces a 3-2 score at halftime v WVU.
- (1938) Time hails the new Fallingwater as Frank Lloyd Wright's "most beautiful job".
- (1952) PM Drees is the 10th foreign leader to visit during a 3 day stay, starting with a visit to the William Pitt Union.
- (1953) Hornets star Bob Solinger gets a hat trick at Syracuse.
- (1955) Mobster Big Gus Gianni is shot 3 times in the Hill District.
- (1958) I-376 completes the Grant Street interchange linking downtown to the Turnpike after 12 years of construction.
- (1967) New Castle's Ray Shafer becomes governor.
- (1972) The US Supreme Court grants Joseph Yablonski's union coal miner Mike Trbovich permission to intervene in the US Department of Labor suit as a complainant—continuing the government's election fraud suit.
- (1972) The new police academy opens in North Park with James Slusser as director.
- (1973) Bob Prince & H. John Heinz III are named Jaycee's "Man of the Year".
- (1984) Mr. Rogers district court testimony is quoted in the Supreme Court's decision on the VCR copyright case.
- (1986) The NSB approves funding for the CMU & Pitt created PSC as its new .84 petaflops $39.5 millionia CRAY X-MP/48 goes online.
- (1991) Penguins star John Cullen scores a hat trick in Toronto.
- (1995) Munhall's Tom Ridge becomes governor.
- (2002) Penguins star Aleksey Morozov scores a hat trick in Calgary.
- (2004) The symphony is the 1st in US history to play for the Pope at the Vatican.