Portal:Pope/Did you know
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ...Pius IX has had the longest reign as Pope?
- ...That Antipope Felix V was the last historically significant Antipope?
- ...An apocryphal Pope Donus II used to be listed in the official lists. He was mistakenly inserted after Pope Benedict VI?
- ...That there used to be a John in the list of popes between Pope John XIV and Pope John XV this pope never existed
- ...That Antipope John XVII and Antipope John XXIII were thought not to be illegitimate Pope?
- ...That after Antipope Benedict X the next Pope to take the name Benedict was Pope Benedict XI. Antipope Benedict X is considered by some to be a legitimate pope?
- ...That Pope Lando was the last pope to use a papal name which had not been previously used until Pope John Paul I did so in 1978 and Pope Francis in 2013?
- ...There have been 217 popes from Italy, 17 from France, 13 Greeks, 8 from Germany, 6 from Syria, 3 from Spain, 3 from Africa, and one each from Galilee (Palestine) (Saint Peter), 1 from England, 1 from Portugal, 1 from the Netherlands, 1 from Poland and 1 from Argentina?
- ...When Simon de Brion became pope in 1281, he chose to be called Martin. At that time, Marinus I and Marinus II were mistakenly considered to be Martin II and Martin III respectively, and so, erroneously, Simon de Brion became Pope Martin IV
- ... That there are 78 Popes who are saints, 11 Popes are blessed, 2 Venerables and 4 Servants of God