Portal:Portugal/Did you know archive
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ...that the reign of John III of Portugal was characterized by both the height of the Portuguese Empire political and mercantile power followed by the beginning of its decline?
- ...that the history of Portugal from 1777 to 1834 spans a complex period in which a constitutional monarchy was installed in the country, following the Napoleonic invasions of Portugal, the independence of Brazil, a liberal revolution in Porto and the civil war known as the Liberal Wars between the two princes: Peter and Michael.
- ...that the Democratic Party was a Portuguese political party closely associated with the history of the Portuguese First Republic, being the main political force in power from 1910 to 1926.
- ...that the 36 members of the first Central Committee of the Portuguese Communist Party elected after the Carnation Revolution had, in the aggregate, experienced more than 300 years in jail.
- ...that Portuguese jurist João das Regras aided John I of Portugal by refuting the arguments of pretenders to the throne during the 1383–1385 Crisis?
- ...that Octávio Pato, Salgado Zenha, Mário Soares, Júlio Pomar and Mário Sacramento made part of the leadership of the Juvenile MUD, the youth wing of the Movement of Democratic Unity?
- ...that a study on chemical analysis by Luís da Silva Mouzinho de Albuquerque, a Portuguese military officer, scientist and statesman of the 19th century, motivated a special answer-like report by two of the most prestigious scientists of the time: Jean-Antoine Chaptal and Joseph-Louis Gay-Lussac?
- ...that the Mafra National Palace was built during the reign of King John V of Portugal, in consequence of a vow he made, promising to build a convent if his wife, the Queen Mary Anne of Austria, gave him descendants.
- ...that the Order of Infante D. Henrique is a Portuguese honorific order that distinguishes relevant services for Portugal, in the country or in foreign ones, in the expansion of the Portuguese culture, its history and its values?
- ...that the Callaici were a single or various tribes living in the North of Douro River in Northern Portugal and Galicia (Spain)?
- ...that the Monserrate Palace is one of the finest examples of Sintra's Romanticism, along with other nearby palaces such as the Pena Palace?