: ψυχολογία) is the academic
study of behavior
, and their underlying mechanisms
. It primarily applies to humans
but can also be applied to non-humans such as animals
or artificial systems
. Psychology also refers to the application
of such knowledge
to various spheres of activity, including problems of human beings' daily lives
and the treatment
of mental illness
. The field contains a range of sub-areas
(for instance, the studies of development
, and language
), as well as many different theoretical orientations
(such as behaviorism
, evolutionary psychology
, and psychoanalysis
). Psychology draws from a number of other fields of study, including biology
, and philosophy
is the ability of the brain to store, retain, and subsequently recall information. Although traditional studies of memory began in the realms of philosophy
, the late nineteenth and early twentieth century put memory within the paradigms of cognitive psychology
. In the recent decades, it has become one of the principal pillars of a new branch of science that represents a marriage between cognitive psychology and neuroscience
, called cognitive neuroscience
There are several ways of classifying memories, based on duration, nature and retrieval of information. From an information processing perspective there are three main stages in the formation and retrieval of memory:
- Encoding (processing and combining of received information)
- Storage (creation of a permanent record of the encoded information)
- Retrieval/Recall (calling back the stored information in response to some cue for use in some process or activity)
- "Rationalization may be defined as self-deception by reasoning." — Karen Horney
- "[By 1985], machines [computers] will be capable of doing any work Man can do." — Herbert A. Simon
Join the Psychology WikiProject - Help work on the tasks list
Psychology WikiProject and Portal
Here are some Psychology
related tasks you can do
- Categories under discussion for possible deletion or renaming:
- Articles under discussion for possible deletion: Dimensional models of personality disorders
- Translate from German into English: Trigant Burrow, Paul Schilder, Samuel Slavson,
- Focus (top priority) articles: Social isolation, Experimental psychology, Developmental psychology
- Refine/polish: Oniomania, Aggression, Panic attack, Introjection (See talk page)
- Expand: Psychography, Cognitive specialization, More...
- NPOV: Psychiatric imprisonment, More...
- Cleanup/Copyedit: Behavior analysis of child development, Child sexuality, Psychohistorical views on infanticide, Panic attack, Hawthorne effect, Personality psychology, Behavior change (written from public health perspective), stereotype, More...
- Merge/Split: attachment (psychology)/attachment theory, human behavior/behavior, social stereotype/stereotype, logatome/pseudoword, More...
- Wikify: None known presently
- Stubs: Developmental stage, Egocentrism, Gratification, Human behavior, Psychomotor Learning, Dialogical self, More...
- Requests: Relationship awareness theory, Impulse control, Prepotent response inhibition, Boston process approach, Associative memory (psychology), More...
- Collaborate: Crying, More...