Slipknot is an American heavy metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. Slipknot's origins date back to 1992, and the band officially formed in November 1995. The group experienced several line-up changes, but has kept the same nine members since 1999: Sid Wilson, Joey Jordison, Paul Gray, Chris Fehn, Jim Root, Craig Jones, Shawn Crahan, Mick Thomson and Corey Taylor.
The band released their debut studio album, Slipknot, in 1999. They returned in 2001 with Iowa, which was named after their home state. Slipknot's third studio album was entitled Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses). It debuted at the second position on the Billboard 200 chart. The band released a fourth album studio album, All Hope Is Gone on August 26, 2008.
Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) is Slipknot's third studio album. It was released on May 25, 2004 by Roadrunner Records, and a special edition version of the album containing a bonus disc was released on April 12, 2005. It is the first and only album by the band to be produced by Rick Rubin.
After the band ended the tour for its second album in 2002, speculation regarding the future began after some band members exercised side projects including Murderdolls, To My Surprise, and the re-establishment of Stone Sour. However, in 2003, Slipknot moved into The Mansion to work on the album. Initially, the band was unproductive, with lead vocalist Corey Taylor drinking heavily. Nevertheless, they eventually managed to write more than enough material for the new album, releasing five singles. It was the band's first album to incorporate more traditional song structures as well as considerably more melody and acoustic guitars.
The album was met with generally positive reviews. The album peaked within the top ten in album sales across eleven countries, and went on to become classified Platinum in the United States. The band also received the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance for the single "Before I Forget".
Corey Todd Taylor (December 8, 1973 (Des Moines, Iowa) sometimes known by his number 8, is an American musician best known as the lead vocalist and songwriter of American heavy metal bands Slipknot and Stone Sour. Taylor was raised by his single mother. He developed a fond feeling toward classic rock after his grandmother introduced him to it. Taylor first met his father on March 28, 2005, and the two have developed a strong relationship. He currently has a wife, an ex-wife, and two children. By the release of Stone Sour's Come What(ever) May, he was sober. On August 3, 2009 and July 29, 2010 he co-hosted the Kerrang! Awards alongside Scott Ian of Anthrax and The Damned Things. He has stated in numerous interviews that he loves Gibson guitars, and has recorded videos on behalf of the Gibson Association. When playing solo or with Stone Sour, he frequently uses Gibsons.
Corey Taylor is a founding member of Stone Sour, and has released three studio albums with the band. Taylor joined Slipknot in 1997 to replace their original singer Anders Colsefini. He has released four studio albums with the band. Taylor constantly alters between bands, as seen in 2001, after the release of Iowa, where he rejoined Stone Sour immediately after touring. He has worked with several bands, including Junk Beer Kidnap Band, Apocalyptica, Anthrax, Soulfly, and Avenged Sevenfold. Taylor writes and sings in styles that vary by genre. Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison said that he has "really good melodic singing." Taylor was ranked number 86 in Hit Parader's Top 100 Metal Vocalists of All Time.
- March 10: Donnie Steele is announced to fill in as the touring Bass player in 2011 upon the death of Paul Gray.
- May 24: Paul Gray found dead in Iowa.
- January 11: Snuff music video is featured on iTunes.
- December 18: Slipknot releases the new "Snuff" Video.
- December 8: Corey Taylor's Birthday
- September 24: Shawn Crahan's Birthday
- July 18: The music video for "Psychosocial" is premièred on MTV
- July 12: Slipknot announces plans for the band's "Tattered and Torn" clothing line
- July 9: Sid Wilson breaks both of his heels during the opening day of Mayhem Festival, to perform remainder of tour in a wheelchair
- June 15: New single, "All Hope Is Gone", is released
- June 15: All Hope Is Gone is set for August 26 release
- February 24: Chris Fehn's Birthday.
- February 11: Craig "133" Jones' Birthday.
- February 2, 2008: Slipknot is named 6th best live band, all-time, by Parader Magazine.
- ...Slipknot's logo, the nonagram, is a nine sided star, and that each point represents a member of the band?
- ...Slipknot went under the name of Meld under their first live performance?
- ...Iowa was rated 3rd in the UK magazine Kerrang!'s "The 50 Best Albums of the 21st Century" reader poll?
- ...Slipknot has released four studio albums and one live album, the most recent being All Hope Is Gone in August 2008?
Ways to help out
- Post in the Noticeboard.
- Fix any grammar/spelling mistakes.
- Edit the "Did you know?" Section constantly.
- Invite more people to this Portal
- Fix up any bad sections.