The Uttar Pradesh Portal
Uttar Pradesh(Hindi: उत्तर प्रदेश, Urdu: اتر پردیش, IPA: [ʊt̪ːər prəd̪eːʃ] (help·info), translation: Northern Province), [often referred to as U.P.], located in central-south Asia and northern India, is the most populous and fifth largest state in the Republic of India. With a population exceeding that of France, Germany, and the Netherlands combined, it is the most populous sub-national division in the world. U.P. is also possibly the state with the largest number of million-plus cities.
Uttar Pradesh covers a large part of the highly fertile and densely populated upper Gangetic plain. It shares an international border with Nepal and is bounded by the Indian states of Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Bihar. The administrative and legislative capital of Uttar Pradesh is Lucknow, and the financial and industrial capital is Kanpur. The state's high court is based at Allahabad. Other notable cities in Uttar Pradesh include Bijnor, Jhansi, Lakhimpur Kheri, Agra, Varanasi (Banaras), Allahabad, Faizabad, Azamgarh, Bareilly, Meerut, Muzaffarnagar, Moradabad, Ghaziabad, Aligarh, Gorakhpur, Saharanpur, Mathura and NOIDA.
The area now known collquially and officially as UP has undergone several different definitions and demarcations since the early 19th century. In 1833 the then Bengal Presidency was divided into two parts, one of wihich became Presidency of Agra. In 1836 the Agra area was named North-Western Provinces and placed under a Lieutenant Governor. In 1877 the two provinces of Agra and Oudh were placed under one administrator, who was called Lieutenant Governor of the North-Western Provinces and Chief Commissioner of Oudh. In 1902 the name was changed to United Provinces of Agra and Oudh with Lieutenant Governor of the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh as administrator, in 1921 Lieutenant Governorship was elivated to Governorship when once again province was renamed as United Provinces of British India. In 1937 the name was shortened to United Province. On independence in 1947, the states of Rampur, Banares and Tehri-Garwal were merged into the United Provinces. In 1950 the name of United Provinces was changed to Uttar Pradesh. In 1999 sperate state of Uttaranchal(now Uttarakhand) was carved out of Uttar Pradesh.
Anniversaries for May 20
Uttar Pradesh news
Today is May 20, 2013
- Slight intensity earthquake hit Uttar Pradesh-Harayana border region - A slight intensity earthquake measuring 3.2 on the Richter scale hit the Haryana-Uttar Pradesh border this morning. The tremor occurred at around 8:37am, India Meteorological Department said. The epicentre of the quake was monitored at the 23 north Latitude and 77.2 east Longitude near the border of Haryana's Sonepat District and Uttar Pradesh's Baghpat District at a depth of 10 kilometres. There were no report of casualties or damages. (dna) 2011-01-26
- Nepali poacher arrested with leopard skins - A Nepali poacher has been arrested with two leopard skins in this Uttar Pradesh town. Veer Bahadur, 48 years, was held with the leopard skins near the bus station in Kotwali Shehar area Monday night following a joint operation by Uttar Pradesh Police's Special Operation Group (SOG) and local police. According to police, Bahadur is a native of Dang in Nepal. (sify) 2011-01-11
- Fire in Noida's Ambedkar park, no injuries - A fire broke out Tuesday in the controversial Ambedkar Park being developed in this suburb of the national capital. The blaze was doused within two hours and no one was injured. The fire broke out in the afternoon in the dome of the central building being constructed at the Rs.650 crore park, a pet project of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati. It was doused by five fire tenders within two hours. Around 100 workers were present in the park but nobody injured in the incident. The exact cause of the incident has not yet been ascertained. (sify) 2011-01-11
- Join us for trifurcation of UP: Amar to Ajit Singh - Lokmanch president Amar Singh has called on Rashtriya Lok Dal chief Ajit Singh to join hands and press for the demands of separate statehood to Harit Pradesh and Poorvanchal. He stressed on formation of smaller states out of Uttar Pradesh, saying that it would provide better governance and would help in the development of the regions. (msn) 2011-01-11
Selected picture for May 2013
Selected article for May 2013
- Divisions (Lucknow, Meerut, ...)
- Districts (Barabanki, Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, ...)
- Cities (Barabanki, Agra, Aligarh, Deoria, ...)
- Time zone- IST (UTC+5:30)
- State capital- Lucknow
Selected biography for May 2013
Did you know...
Things you can do
Here are some tasks you can do:
- Help to build more UP-relevant pages. This place has a lot to be written about.
- Many UP-linked pages need to be improved in content and depth.
- Convince others to post in diverse Indian languages, about UP, inter alia.
- Actively rope in others in UP or from the diaspora as contributors to the Wikipedia.
- Contribute photos and (non-copyrighted) text to this page.
- Help to categorise and locate all the scattered links related to UP on the Wikipedia.
Related Wiki Projects
Wikipedia in Related Languages
Uttar Pradesh topics
Wikipedias in Indian languages
Uttar Pradesh: Divisions, Districts & Major Cities
India: State & Territories