Roosevelt County, New Mexico
|Roosevelt County, New Mexico|
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Founded||28 February 1903|
|• Total||2,455 sq mi (6,358 km2)|
|• Land||2,447 sq mi (6,338 km2)|
|• Water||7.22 sq mi (19 km2), 0.29%|
|• Density||8/sq mi (3/km²)|
Roosevelt County is a county located in the U.S. state of New Mexico. It was created in 1903 from Chaves and Guadalupe counties and named for President Theodore Roosevelt. As of the 2010 census, the population was 19,846. Its county seat is Portales. It is west from the Texas state line.
- Curry County, New Mexico - north
- Quay County, New Mexico - north
- De Baca County, New Mexico - west
- Chaves County, New Mexico - west
- Lea County, New Mexico - south
- Cochran County, Texas - southeast
- Bailey County, Texas - east
National protected area
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 76.9% White
- 1.8% Black
- 1.3% Native American
- 0.9% Asian
- 0.0% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 3.2% Two or more races
- 15.9% Other races
- 39.9% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 18,018 people, 6,639 households, and 4,541 families residing in the county. The population density was 7 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 7,746 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 74.14% White, 1.65% Black or African American, 1.10% Native American, 0.62% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 19.76% from other races, and 2.65% from two or more races. 33.29% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,639 households out of which 35.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.00% were married couples living together, 11.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.60% were non-families. 24.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.10% under the age of 18, 16.00% from 18 to 24, 25.50% from 25 to 44, 18.30% from 45 to 64, and 12.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 96.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,586, and the median income for a family was $31,813. Males had a median income of $26,170 versus $20,684 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,185. About 17.30% of families and 22.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.10% of those under age 18 and 16.80% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Roosevelt County information on High Plains Historical Foundation
- Roosevelt County Official Website
- A resource for the Clovis/ Portales/ Curry/ Roosevelt and Cannon Air Force Base Community
||Curry County and Quay County|
|De Baca County and Chaves County||Bailey County, Texas|
|Lea County||Cochran County, Texas|