Portrait in Black
|Portrait in Black|
|Directed by||Michael Gordon|
|Produced by||Ross Hunter|
|Screenplay by||Ivan Goff
|Based on||the play Portrait in Black
by Ivan Goff
|Music by||Inez James
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
|Box office||$3,600,000 (US/ Canada)|
Portrait in Black is a 1960 American neo-noir crime drama/thriller film directed by Michael Gordon and starring Lana Turner and Anthony Quinn. Produced by Ross Hunter, the film was based on the play of the same by name by Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts who also wrote the screenplay. The film was distributed by Universal-International. This was the final film appearance by veteran actress Anna May Wong.
Sheila Cabot (Lana Turner) becomes increasingly disturbed as she cares for her ailing, disagreeable husband (Lloyd Nolan). Along the way, she falls in love with Dr. David Rivera (Anthony Quinn), who is tending her husband. This leads to a series of unfortunate events, resulting in the death of the husband and an ensuing murder investigation.
- Lana Turner as Sheila Cabot
- Anthony Quinn as Dr. David Rivera
- Richard Basehart as Howard Mason
- Sandra Dee as Cathy Cabot
- John Saxon as Blake Richards
- Ray Walston as Cobb
- Virginia Grey as Miss Lee
- Anna May Wong as Tawny
- Dennis Kohler as Peter Cabot
- Lloyd Nolan as Matthew S. Cabot
- Elizabeth Chan as Chinese dancer
- John Wengraf as Dr. Kessler
- John McNamara as Minister
- George Womack as Foreman
- Paul Birch as Detective lieutenant
Home video release
The film was based on a play which premiered in London at the Piccadilly Theatre in 1946 and had a short run on Broadway the following year. The writers, Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts, had worked on it for 13 months.
Film rights were sold almost immediately for a reported $100,000.
- "Rental Potentials of 1960", Variety, 4 January 1961 p 47. Please note figures are rentals as opposed to total gross.
- Portrait In Black at the American Film Institute Catalog.
- Anna May Wong at the Internet Movie Database.
- Portrait in Black at "San Francisco Movie Locations from Classic Films". Accessed: July 29, 2013.
- The Independent. Obiturary, Ivan Goff, September 28, 1999. Accessed: July 29, 2013.
- Portrait In Black at the IBDb. Accessed: July 29, 2013.
- "Big Royalties for Australian Playwright in USA.". The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) (Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia). 23 January 1947. p. 5. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Kirby, Walter (March 2, 1952). "Better Radio Programs for the Week". The Decatur Daily Review. p. 42. Retrieved May 28, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
Schwartz, Ronald. Neo-Noir: The New Film Noir Style from Psycho to Collateral, 2005 (Portrait In Black listed on p. 127). Scarecrow Press, Lanham, Maryland. ISBN 9780810856769.
- Portrait In Black at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Portrait In Black at the Internet Movie Database
- Portrait In Black at AllMovie
- Portrait In Black at the TCM Movie Database
- Portrait In Black film scene on YouTube