Portsmouth High School (Ohio)
|This article is missing information about history and information other than athletics. (September 2011)|
|Portsmouth High School|
|1225 Gallia Street
Portsmouth, Ohio, 45652
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Portsmouth City School District|
|Principal||Doug Poage, Principal|
|Color(s)||Red & Blue|
|Athletics||baseball, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' and girls' cross country, football, boys' and girls' golf, fast pitch softball, boys' and girls' swimming, boys' and girls' track and field, boys' and girls' tennis, and girls' volleyball|
|Athletics conference||Southeastern Ohio Athletic League - South Division|
PHS has served the city since its founding in the 1830s and is the only public high school in Portsmouth. In 2000, Portsmouth voters passed a much needed school bond issue, which helped construct new schools for the district. The new schools opened for the 2006-2007 school year. These schools won the Grand Prize from School Planning & Management's 2007 Education Design Showcase. The award is awarded annually to the K-12 school that displays "excellence in design and functional planning directed toward meeting the needs of the educational program." In addition, the school system finished building a $10 million athletic complex in 2009. It includes a new football field, baseball field, softball field, and track.
The Portsmouth Trojans are part of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League.
Ohio High School Athletic Association state championships
OHSAA Final Four basketball appearances
1925, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931 (1st), 1934 (2nd), 1939, 1941, 1961 (1st), 1978 (1st), 1980 (2nd), 1988 (1st), 1990 (2nd), 2011 & 2012 (2nd)
||This list of "famous" or "notable" persons has no clear inclusion or exclusion criteria. Please help to define clear inclusion criteria and edit the list to contain only subjects that fit those criteria. (December 2014)|
- Henry T. Bannon - Ohio politician
- Kathleen Battle - opera star
- Bill Harsha - Ohio politician
- Larry Hisle - former Major League Baseball player
- Rocky Nelson - former Major League Baseball player
- Al Oliver - former Major League Baseball player
- Del Rice - former Major League Baseball player
- Barbara Robinson (author)
- Herb Roe - mural artist
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "OHSAA Member School Info". Retrieved 2007-07-30.
- "Multiple Factors Cited by Jurors". The Community Common(communitycommon.com). 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- "City School Earn Top Design Award". The Community Common(communitycommon.com). 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- Wayne Allen (2007-07-13). "City Schools Facility Awaits Council". The Community Common(communitycommon.com). Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D2". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association State Boys' Basketball Tournament Program". p. 59.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Portsmouth High School (Ohio).|