Post Break-Up Sex
|"Post Break-Up Sex"|
|Single by The Vaccines|
|from the album What Did You Expect from The Vaccines?|
|Released||21 January 2011|
|Format||Digital Download, 7" Vinyl|
|Genre||Indie rock, post-punk revival|
|The Vaccines singles chronology|
"Post Break-Up Sex" is the second single from London-based quartet The Vaccines from their debut album, What Did You Expect from The Vaccines?. The single was released in the United Kingdom as a digital download on 21 January 2011 with a 7" vinyl released the following day. The single debuted at number 32 on the UK Singles Chart on 30 January 2011.
|1.||"Post Break-Up Sex"||2:56|
A music video to accompany the release of "Post Break-Up Sex" was first released onto YouTube on 15 December 2010; at a total length of two minutes and fifty-six seconds. The video features the quartet performing the song in a living room, although Young is predominantly featured throughout. The video then alternates between shots of the performance and clips of the woman, as mentioned in the song's lyrics, who is regretting the post break-up sex she had with a male; who is featured besides her in the video. For the final minute of the music video, a montage of upset adults are shown; symbolising all those who have either had post break-up sex or have been at the mercy of it. As of 12 February 2014, the music video has accumulated over 4,750,000 views, their highest viewed video on the website to date.
Jon Davies of Shazamers' Blog gave the song a positive review stating:
Predictably the track is inspired by those, quite often awkward, moments when you’re trying to put a relationship behind you. Thankfully, despite the morose subject matter, the song continues the band’s string of addictive singles. Short, punchy and with a chorus that will refuse to leave your head for weeks, ‘Post Break Up Sex’ is a great slice of fuzzy guitar driven pop.
Record Store Day
It was announced in March 2012 that the band would be re-releasing "Post Break-Up Sex" as a 7" Vinyl as part of Record Store Day 2012. On April 2, it was revealed that the track would be recorded by American singer-songwriter R. Stevie Moore and released as a double A-side alongside the group's recording of Moore's "Why Should I Love You?". The vinyl was limited to 500 copies, which saw release on April 21, 2012.
According to the Midweeks produced by DigitalSpy on 25 January 2011, "Post Break-Up Sex" was set to debut within the top 20 on the UK Singles Chart. However, on 30 January, "Post Break-Up Sex" debuted at number 32. The single spent only one week within the top 40, falling 23 places to number 53 on its second week. On 13 February, the single fell a further 13 places to number 66; marking its third and final week on the top 100.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||29|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||27|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||32|
|United Kingdom||21 January 2011||Digital Download|
|24 January 2011||Vinyl|
|21 April 2012||Record Store Day Vinyl|
- The Vaccines 'Post Break-Up Sex' - Vinyl [ Amazon, Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- The Vaccines 'Post Break-Up Sex' - Digital Download Amazon, Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- Post Break-Up Sex - Official Music Video YouTube, Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- Music – Tag of the Day – The Vaccines: 'Post Break-Up Sex'. Shazamers (2011-01-06). Retrieved on 2011-01-29.
- "The Vaccines announce 'Record Store Day' 7" Vinyl". thevaccines.co.uk. 2012-04-02.
- "The Vaccines / R. Stevie Moore - '"Why Should I Love You?"/"Post Break-Up Sex"' - 7" Vinyl". Banquet Records. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- The Sound - 25 January 2011 DigitalSpy, Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Ultratop.be – The Vaccines – Post Break-Up Sex" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – The Vaccines – Post Break-Up Sex" (in French). Ultratip.