||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2014)|
|Traded as||NYSE: POST|
|Founded||Battle Creek, Michigan, U.S. (1895 )|
|Headquarters||St. Louis, Missouri|
|C. W. Post, William Stiritz|
|Products||Breakfast cereals, granola, granola snacks, probiotic bars, egg substitutes, refrigerated potatoes, cheese, protein bars, protein shakes, protein powders, dry pasta, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, dried fruits, baking nuts, snacking nuts|
Post Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POST) (formerly Post Cereals and previously Postum Cereals) is an American consumer packaged goods holding company that operates in the center-of-the-store, refrigerated, active nutrition and private label food categories. Post's center-of-the-store portfolio includes Honey Bunches of Oats, Pebbles, Great Grains, Post Shredded Wheat, Post Raisin Bran, Grape-Nuts and Honeycomb. Post also offers premium natural and organic cereal, granola and snacks through the Attune, Uncle Sam, Erewhon, Golden Temple, Peace Cereal, Sweet Home Farm and Willamette Valley Granola Company brands. Post’s refrigerated portfolio, through Michael Foods, includes value-added egg products, refrigerated potato products and cheese and other dairy case products and the Papetti’s, AllWhites, Better‘n Eggs, Easy Eggs, Abbotsford Farms, Simply Potatoes and Crystal Farms brands. Post's active nutrition platform includes the Dymatize, Premier Protein, Supreme Protein and Joint Juice brands. Post also manufactures private label cereal, granola, egg substitutes, dry pasta, peanut butter and other nut butters, dried fruits and baking and snacking nuts, servicing the private label retail, foodservice and ingredient channels. Post has its corporate headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
Post was founded by C. W. Post in 1895 with the first Postum, a "cereal beverage," developed by Post in Battle Creek, Michigan. The first cereal, Grape-Nuts, was developed in 1897 followed by Post Toasties.
In 1907 Collier's Weekly published an article questioning the claim made in advertisements for Grape Nuts that it could cure appendicitis. C. W. Post responded with advertisements questioning the mental capacity of the article's author, and Collier's Weekly sued for libel. The case was heard in 1910, and Post was fined $50,000. The decision was overturned on appeal, but advertisements for Postum products stopped making such claims.
The Postum Cereals company, after acquiring Jell-O gelatin in 1925, Baker's chocolate in 1927, Maxwell House coffee in 1928, and other food brands, changed its name to General Foods Corporation in 1929. By far the most important acquisition of 1929 was of the frozen-food company owned by Clarence Birdseye, called General Foods Company. Chairman E. F. Hutton changed the name to General Foods Corporation after the acquisition of Birdseye and eventually moved the corporate headquarters to Park Avenue in New York City. General Foods was acquired by Philip Morris Companies in 1985.
In 1989, Philip Morris merged General Foods with Kraft Foods, which it had acquired in 1987, to form the Kraft General Foods division. The cereal brands of Nabisco were acquired in 1993. In 1995, Kraft General Foods was reorganized and renamed Kraft Foods.
On November 15, 2007, Kraft announced it would spin off Post Cereals and merge that business with Ralcorp Holdings. That merger was completed August 4, 2008. The official name of the company became Post Foods, LLC.
In July 2011, Ralcorp announced plans to spin off Post Foods into a separate company. About a quarter of Ralcorp's sales in 2010 were generated by its Post Foods unit. The spinoff was completed with an IPO for Post Holdings, Inc. on February 7, 2012.
Post Foods cereal brands – present cereals
- 100% Bran – currently only available in Canada
- Bran Flakes
- Cocoa Pebbles
- Fruity Pebbles
- Fruity Pebbles Xtreme
- Golden Crisp
- Good MOREnings Waffle Crunch (a variation of Waffle Crisp)
- Grape-Nuts Fit
- Grape-Nuts Flakes
- Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch
- Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch
- Great Grains Crunchy Pecans
- Great Grains Digestive Blends – Berry Medley
- Great Grains Digestive Blends – Vanilla
- Great Grains Protein Blend – Cinnamon Hazelnut
- Great Grains Protein Blend – Honey, Oats & Seeds
- Great Grains Raisins, Dates & Pecans
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Raisin Medley
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Almonds
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Cinnamon Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Real Strawberries
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Vanilla Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Pecan Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Fruit Blends – Banana Blueberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Fruit Blends – Peach Raspberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Greek – Honey Crunch
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Greek – Mixed Berry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Tropical Blends – Mango Coconut
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Raspberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Cinnamon
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Protein Chocolate
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Morning Energy – Chocolatey Almond Crunch
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Morning Energy – Cinnamon Crunch
- Mini Cinnamon Churros
- Poppin' Pebbles
- Post Toasties
- Raisin Bran
- Selects Blueberry Morning
- Selects Cranberry Almond Crunch
- Sesame Street Cereal – Apple
- Sesame Street Cereal - Blueberry
- Sesame Street Cereal - Strawberry
- Shredded Wheat (made by Nestlé and General Mills in the United Kingdom and Ireland)
- Shredded Wheat – Original Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Honey Nut Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Wheat'N Bran Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Lightly Frosted Spoon Size
- Shreddies – currently only available in Canada, the United Kingdom and Ireland (made by Nestlé and General Mills in the United Kingdom and Ireland)
- Waffle Crisp
Post Foods discontinued cereals
- Beep Beep (with the Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner as mascots)
- BlueBerry Morning
- Bran & Prune Flakes
- Cinna-Crunch Pebbles (discontinued 2001)
- Corn Crackos
- Corn Flakes & Blueberries
- Corn Flakes & Peaches
- Corn Flakes & Strawberries
- Count Off
- Crispy Critters
- Crispy Numbers (in Canada)
- Cröonchy Stars
- Cupcake Pebbles
- C.W. Post (granola cereal, discontinued 1994)
- Dino Pebbles
- Dino S'mores Pebbles
- Fortified Oat Flakes
- Fruit & Bran (formerly Fruit & Fiber)
- Fruit Wheats (Shredded Wheat variant, discontinued 1990)
- Good MOREnings Cocoa Cinnamon (chocolate flavored rings)
- Good MOREnings Berry Wheels (strawberry flavored rings)
- Good MOREnings Strawberries 'n' Creme (strawberry-flavored corn flakes)
- Grape Nut O's
- Heart of Oats
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Just Bunches – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Just Bunches – Cinnamon
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Real Peaches
- Honey Maid Honey Graham
- Marshmallow Alpha-Bits
- Marshmallow Pebbles
- Oat Flakes
- Oreo O's
- Pink Panther Flakes
- Post Extra
- Post Ghosties (with Casper the Friendly Ghost as its mascot)
- Post Size 8
- Post-Tens, an assortment of 10 single-serving boxes of seven different Post cereals in one package, designed to compete with Kellogg's Variety Pack
- Post Top 3
- Puffed Corn Flakes
- Raisin Grape-Nuts
- Reptar Crunch
- Rice Krinkles (originally Sugar Krinkles, then Sugar Rice Krinkles, finally Frosted Rice Krinkles before discontinuation)
- Selects Banana Nut Crunch
- Selects Maple Pecan Crunch
- Shredded Wheat – Vanilla Almond Spoon Size
- Smurfberry Crunch
- Smurf Magic Berries
- Strawberry Honeycomb
- Sugar Coated Corn Flakes
- Super Orange Crisp
- Sugar Sparkled Flakes
- TEAM Flakes
- The Fairly OddParents
- Trail Mix Crunch – Cranberry Vanilla (discontinued Fall 2010)
- Trail Mix Crunch – Raisin and Almond
Post Holdings acquisitions
||It has been suggested that this section be split into a new article titled Post Holdings. (Discuss) Proposed since February 2014.|
On May 28, 2013, Post Holdings purchased the branded and private label cereal, granola and snacks business of Hearthside Food Solutions, which included the Golden Temple, Peace Cereal, Sweet Home Farm and Willamette Valley Granola Company brands. Post combined this business with Attune Foods.
On September 1, 2013, Post Holdings acquired Premier Nutrition Company, a marketer of premium protein shakes and bars under the Premier Protein brand and nutritional supplements under the Joint Juice brand.
On February 1, 2014, Post Holdings acquired Golden Boy Foods and Dymatize Enterprises. Golden Boy Foods is a manufacturer of private label peanut and other nut butters, as well as dried fruits and snacking nuts. Dymatize Enterprises is a manufacturer and marketer of premium protein powders, bars and nutritional supplements.
On June 2, 2014, Post Holdings acquired Michael Foods, a producer of value-added food products and service solutions to customers across the foodservice, retail and food ingredient channels including egg products, refrigerated potato products and cheese and other dairy case products through the Papetti’s, AllWhites, Better‘n Eggs, Easy Eggs, Abbotsford Farms, Simply Potatoes and Crystal Farms brands.
On January 27, 2015, Post Holdings announced that it was purchasing competitor MOM Brands, makers of the Malt-O-Meal line of cereals, for $1.15 billion ($1.05 billion cash and 2.5 million shares of Post Holdings stock). Post expects to complete the purchase in the third quarter of 2015
Attune Foods cereals, granola and snack brands
- attune probiotic bars
- Erewhon Organic Cereal
- Erewhon organic graham crackers
- Peace Cereal
- Sweet Home Farm granola
- Uncle Sam Cereal
- Willamette Valley organic granola
Michael Foods brands
- Better‘n Eggs
- Easy Eggs
- Abbotsford Farms
- Simply Potatoes
- Crystal Farms
Active Nutrition brands
- Dymatize gainer powder
- Dymatize protein bar
- Dymatize protein powder
- Dymatize recovery/amino acids
- Joint Juice supplement drink
- Joint Juice supplement drink mix
- Premier Protein bar
- Premier Protein CRISP bar
- Premier Protein shake
- Premier Protein mixed berry smoothie
- Supreme Protein Accelerate Morning protein bar
- Supreme Protein high protein bar
- Supreme Protein high protein milkshake
- Supreme Protein whey & casin protein shake mix
Private Label brands
- Dakota Growers Pasta Company
- Golden Boy Foods
- "Ralcorp announces new board to lead Post Holdings". Battle Creek Enquirer. January 13, 2012. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- morning!. "Post Cereal Investors - IR Contacts | Post Foods". Ir.postfoods.com. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- Pendergrast, Mark (2010). Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World. New York, NY: Basic Books. pp. 101–102. ISBN 978-0-465-01836-9.
- "Kraft Foods to Merge Its Post Cereals Business With Ralcorp". Kraft Foods. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Ralcorp Announces Completion of Post Cereals Merger". Ralcorp Holdings, Inc. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- Boyle, Matthew (July 14, 2011). "Ralcorp to Spin Off Post Foods After Failing to Find Buyer". Bloomberg.
- York, New (2012-02-07). "Post Holdings Celebrates Spinoff from Ralcorp Holdings | Exchanges". Exchanges.nyx.com. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- Vintage Old 1960's Animated Post Beep Beep Cereal with Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner Commercial, YouTube
- Post Bran & Prune Flakes - Classic TV Commercial, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1960's Post Cereal Corn Crackos Animated Commercial, YouTube
- Corn Flakes and Fruit Cereal Series II Classic Commercial 1960s Pt 2, YouTube
- Corn Flakes and Peaches Cereal Vintage Commercial 1960s, YouTube
- Post Fruit in the Box Cereals II Classic 1960s Pt 4, YouTube
- Post Count Off Cereal (1962) - Classic TV Commercial, YouTube
- Buckholtz, Hillary, "54 Cereals We Loved and Lost – A Tribute," urlesque.com, March 2, 2011
- "Fortified Oat Flakes," mrbreakfast.com
- Vintage Old 1950's Post Heart of Oats Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- 1960s Post Oat Flakes Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- Pink Panther Flakes cereal commercial (1971), YouTube
- 1960s Post Extra Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1960's Post Casper The Ghost Ghosties Animated Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1960's Post Size 8 Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1950's Post Tens Cereal Multi Packs commercial, YouTube
- 1956 Commercial for Kellogg's Variety Pack, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1960's Post Top 3 Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- Vintage Old 1950's Post Puffed Corn Flakes Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- "Raisin Grape-Nuts Cereal Box," mrbreakfast.com
- Galindo, Brian, "26 Cereals From The ’90s You’ll Never Be Able To Eat Again," BuzzFeed, buzzfeed.com/briangalindo, May 3, 2013
- 1963 Rice Krinkles Rickshaw Racer Commercial, YouTube
- "Freaky Friday - Evil Clown Phobia, anyone?" LiveJournal, http://vintage-ads.livejournal.com
- Post Sugar Rice Krinkles Cereal - Classic 1960s TV Commercial, YouTube
- Early 1970's Post Frosted Rice Krinkles Cereal TV commercial (animated), YouTube
- Burgess, Steve, "My Breakfast Cereal Was Discontinued," BCBusiness, bcbusiness.ca/retail, March 5, 2012
- Vintage Old 1960's Post Super Orange Crisp Animated Cereal Commercial, YouTube
- "Post Foods buys natural and organic cereal maker Attune Foods". St. Louis Business Journal. January 11, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Acquires Organic and Natural Cereal, Granola and Snacks Business of Hearthside Food Solutions". Post Holdings, Inc. May 28, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Acquires Premier Nutrition Corporation". Post Holdings, Inc. September 3, 2013. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Completes Acquisition of Dakota Growers Pasta Company". Post Holdings, Inc. January 2, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Completes Acquisitions of Golden Boy Foods and Dymatize Enterprises". Post Holdings, Inc. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Increases Commitment to Active Nutrition Category". Post Holdings, Inc. February 3, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Post Holdings Completes Acquisition of Michael Foods". Post Holdings, Inc. June 2, 2014. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Post Holdings to pay $1.15B for Malt-O-Meal cereal maker". Associated Press/Yahoo Finance. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- Post Holdings Official Site
- Post Foods US Official Site
- Post Foods Canada Official Site
- Attune Foods Official Site
- Michael Foods Official Site
- Dymatize Official Site
- Premier Nutrition Official Site
- Supreme Protein Official Site
- Dakota Growers Official Site
- Golden Boy Foods Official Site