Postage stamps and postal history of Annam and Tongking
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Tongking is bounded by China (north); Gulf of Tongking (east); Annam (south); Laos (west). Annam is bounded by Tongking (north); Cochinchina (south); South China Sea (east); Cambodia and Laos (west).
- Vietnamese and French.
- Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism
- Annam & Tongking became French protectorates following war with China.
- Included in Indochina with Cambodia and Cochinchina.
- (21 January) One issue was released with 9 stamps. These stamps were French Colonial Commerce types overprinted A&T plus a surcharge of either 1 or 5 centimes.
- The issue was replaced by stamps of Indochina.
- Laos was added to the union.
- (14 June) Annam & Tongking became part of the new colony of Vietnam.
- Stanley Gibbons Ltd: various catalogues
- Rossiter, Stuart & John Flower. The Stamp Atlas. London: Macdonald, 1986. ISBN 0-356-10862-7
- Encyclopaedia of Postal History