|Developer(s)||Google (acquired in 2007)|
|Platform||Cross-platform web service|
|Type||E-mail and Web security|
Postini is an e-mail, Web security, and archiving service owned by Google since 2007. It provides cloud computing services for filtering e-mail spam and malware (before it is delivered to a client's mail server), offers optional e-mail archiving, and protects client networks from web-borne malware.
Postini was a startup company founded in 1999 by Shinya Akamine, Gordon Irlam, Brian Maggi, and Scott Petry in Redwood City, California, United States. It was backed by August Capital, with second-round funding from August as well as Summit Partners Accelerator Fund and Sun Microsystems. By February 2005, it was operating ten U.S. data centers, processing 2.5 billion e-mail messages weekly, and providing anti-spam services for more than 4,200 companies and "6 million end users, including workers at Merrill Lynch, Circuit City, Rayovac, and Hormel Foods, the company that makes Spam, the canned meat product". Later in 2005 it moved to nearby San Carlos, California. As of 2012, the number of processed emails is estimated to have been doubled around two times, and Google has added data centers in the EU to better serve its European customers.
The former company's services are now marketed as "Google Postini Services".
In September 2011, Google announced it would discontinue a number of its products, including Google Web Security which was acquired by Google as part of Postini. On August 21, 2012, Google announced it would be shutting down all of Postini's web services and folding the service's users into Google Apps.
- List of acquisitions by Google
- Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange
- MessageLabs a competitor of Postini, bought by Symantec
- Mailroute Inc., a competitor of Postini
- Hesseldahl, Arik (February 14, 2005). "Death To Spam". Forbes. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- Blackwell, Gerry (November 20, 2000). "Hope on the E-mail Front". isp-planet.com. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- Blackwell, Gerry (November 20, 2001). "Postini Revisited". isp-planet.com. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- McMillan, Robert (November 15, 2005). "Postini taps VeriSign for new CEO". InfoWorld. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- Girouard, Dave (September 13, 2007). "We've officially acquired Postini". The Official Google Blog. Retrieved 23 October 2007.
- Google Inc. Form 10-Q 30 June 2007 interim financial statements SEC Accession No. 0001193125-07-175880
- Alan Eustace (September 2, 2011). "A fall spring-clean". Google. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- Juan Carlos Perez (August 21, 2012). "Google Postini Email services will be shutting down, new encryption service appears to be on the way". Google. Retrieved August 28, 2012.