Pottawattamie County, Iowa
|Pottawattamie County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Founded||September 21, 1848|
|Named for||Potawatomi Native American tribe|
|• Total||959.94 sq mi (2,486 km2)|
|• Land||954.26 sq mi (2,472 km2)|
|• Water||5.68 sq mi (15 km2), 0.59%|
|• Density||98/sq mi (38/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Pottawattamie County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. The population was 93,158 in the 2010 census, an increase from 87,704 in the 2000 census and is the second largest county by area in Iowa. The Pottawattamie county seat is located at Council Bluffs. It is one of three Iowa counties in the eight-county Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan Statistical Area. The county takes its name from the Potawatomi Native American tribe.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 959.94 square miles (2,486.2 km2), of which 954.26 square miles (2,471.5 km2) (or 99.41%) is land and 5.68 square miles (14.7 km2) (or 0.59%) is water.
Due to movement of the Missouri River and a Supreme Court ruling, part of the county, Carter Lake, actually lies on the far side of the Missouri River. This part of the county cannot be reached by road without entering Nebraska; no direct bridge exists.
- Harrison County (north)
- Shelby County (northeast)
- Cass County (east)
- Montgomery County (southeast)
- Mills County (south)
- Sarpy County, Nebraska (southwest)
- Douglas County, Nebraska (west)
- Washington County, Nebraska (northwest)
National protected area
The 2010 census recorded a population of 93,158 in the county, with a population density of 97.6233/sq mi (37.6926/km2). There were 39,330 housing units, of which 36,775 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 87,704 people, 33,844 households, and 23,623 families residing in the county. The population density was 92 people per square mile (35/km²). There were 35,761 housing units at an average density of 38 per square mile (14/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.98% White, 0.77% Black or African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.48% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.27% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. 3.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 33,844 households out of which 32.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.60% were married couples living together, 11.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.20% were non-families. 24.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.00% under the age of 18, 9.10% from 18 to 24, 28.60% from 25 to 44, 22.70% from 45 to 64, and 13.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 95.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,089, and the median income for a family was $47,105. Males had a median income of $31,642 versus $24,243 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,275. About 6.40% of families and 8.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.00% of those under age 18 and 6.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Pottawattamie County, 2007. Accessed 2007-09-05.
- United States Office of Management and Budget. "Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses" (PDF). pp. 5, 36. Archived from the original on 2006-05-14. Retrieved 2006-07-21.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pottawattamie County, Iowa.|
||Washington County, Nebraska||Harrison County||Shelby County|
|Douglas County, Nebraska||Cass County|
|Sarpy County, Nebraska||Mills County||Montgomery County|