|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
Location of Pottsylvania in Eastern Europe
|Series||The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show|
|Genre||Satirical cartoon series|
|Head of State||Mr. Big (1959-61)
Pottsylvania is a parody of a Cold War-era eastern European country (possibly intended as a satire on East Germany: Pottsylvanian characters often use German words, and the Iron Cross can be seen on military aircraft). It was noted for being a nation dedicated to all matters related to espionage and deceitfulness; children were taught in schools how to commit crimes, for instance, while casual conversations would have double meanings.
Populated entirely by government agents and saboteurs, Pottsylvania is the one nation where the cold war never thawed. Its highest honor was the Double Cross, and its newspaper, The Pottsylvania Eavesdropper, was printed in invisible ink. While many considered Pottsylvania to be a spoof, it was considered offensive by the government of the Soviet Union, which banned Rocky & Bullwinkle as anti-Soviet propaganda.
Natural landmarks included "Whynchatakea Peak", a large mountain. The geography of Pottsylvania is indeterminate, however. In some locations it appears to be a peninsula, while in others it appears to be either a coastal nation (with seaports) or completely landlocked. Nevertheless, it is accessible by submarine, which appears to be the main form of entry.
Flora and fauna in Pottsylvania included the man-eating Venus flytrap-like plant known as the "Pottsylvania Creeper," and one of the world's few supplies of mooseberry bushes – mooseberries being an ingredient used (in Rocky and Bullwinkle's world) for the production of rocket fuel.
The government of Pottsylvania had been headed by a uniformed dictator known only as Fearless Leader. (In some episodes, another important government figure is Mr. Big.) Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale seemed to be Fearless Leader's most frequently used secret agents, often sent to execute the country's schemes for gaining global power.
- Hail, Pottsylvania
- Hail to the black and the blue!
- Hail, Pottsylvania
- Sneaky and crooked through and through,
- Down with the good guys, up with the boss
- Under the sign of the triple cross, hey!
- Hail, Pottsylvania,
- Hail, hail, hail!
- Snow, Tony: "Clinton's War Objective: To Make The World Safe for Diplomates", pg B7. St Louis Post-Dispatch, Feb 19,1998
-  Chicago Sun Times - It's on to Pottsylvania, 1992
- http://www.tvacres.com/ethnic_russian.htm Russia in US TV Shows
-  Lidz, Frank:" SUMMER FILMS: CREATURE FEATURES; The Ongoing Adventures of Moose and Squirrel", New York Times, April 30 2000
- Most Wanted: Boris Bandanov