Pour Some Sugar on Me
|"Pour Some Sugar on Me"|
|Single by Def Leppard|
|from the album Hysteria|
|B-side||"I Wanna Be Your Hero" (UK), "Ring of Fire" (U.S.)|
|Released||September 8, 1987 (UK)
April 16, 1988 (U.S.)
June 4th, 2012 (Re-recorded version)
Digital Download (2012 version)
2012 (Re-recorded version)
|Genre||Glam metal, hard rock|
|Length||4:25 (Album Version)
4:52 (Historia video edit version)
4:21 (2012 re-recorded version)
|Writer(s)||Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Rick Savage|
|Producer||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Def Leppard singles chronology|
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" is a song by British hard rock band Def Leppard from their 1987 album Hysteria. It reached number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. Pour Some Sugar on Me was ranked #2 on VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 80s" in 2006.
Near the end of recording the album Hysteria, singer Joe Elliott was jamming with a riff he had come up with recently on an acoustic guitar. Producer Mutt Lange, expressing great liking of it, suggested that it be developed into another song. Although already behind schedule Lange felt that the album was still missing a strong crossover hit and that this last song had the potential to be one. Within two weeks the song was completed, smoothed out and included as the twelfth track on Hysteria.
By the spring of 1988, Hysteria had sold 3 million copies, but it still was not enough to cover the album's production costs (the most expensive ever at the time). Thus, the band edited footage from an upcoming concert film to make a new promo clip for "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and finally released it as the fourth single in North America.
The somewhat delayed success of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (due to the new promo release) sent sales of Hysteria higher than the band ever imagined. It reached number 1 on the Top Pop Albums chart (now the Billboard 200) a year after release, and sold four million copies during the single's run. The video remained at number 1 on the request show Dial MTV for 85 days, tying the longest run ever on Dial MTV (The streak ended on Oct. 7, 1988 being topped by Britny Fox's video "Long Way To Love"). The song reached number 1 in Canada, number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, number 18 in the UK Singles Chart and number 26 on the ARIA charts (Australia).
In 2012, the band re-recorded the song, along with Rock of Ages, under the title "Pour Some Sugar on Me 2012". It was released digitally in June 2012.
Music video 
Two different music videos for the song were produced. The first version shows the band playing inside a derelict Irish stately home (Mount Merrion House at Stillorgan, Dublin) while it is being demolished by wrecking-balls and a burly, sledgehammer-wielding, female construction worker. Generally disliked by the band members, and filmed before Pour Some Sugar on Me became a huge mega-hit in the US, a second video simply of the band playing the song live was released for American MTV (the original video was only ever shown in the UK). This video was edited together from live concert footage that would eventually be released as the band's full-length 1989 video Live: In the Round, in Your Face. It also featured an extended, distortion-laden intro in lieu of the album version's "Step inside, rock this way..." line. Most compilations use this extended music video version of the song.
Cover versions 
- Singer-songwriter Emm Gryner performed an acoustic version of the song on her 2001 covers album Girl Versions.
- The band The Maine covered the song for the Fearless Records compilation Punk Goes Classic Rock in 2010.
- Glam Metal band L.A. Guns covered the song for their 2010 cover compilation, Covered in Guns.
- Sugarland has covered the song during their live shows.
- Blues band The Kirby Sewell Band recorded the song on the 2011 album Bought Myself A Hammer.
- Tom Cruise as Stacie Jaxx in the 2012 film Rock of Ages
- Pop-Rock band R5 covered this song during their live shows. It was sung by sister Rydel Lynch.
Track listing 
7": Bludgeon Riffola / Mercury / 870 298-7 (USA)
- "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
- "Ring of Fire"
US Vinyl, 12"
- "Pour Some Sugar on Me" [Extended Version]
- "Pour Some Sugar on Me" [Album Version]
- "I Wanna Be Your Hero"
CD single: Bludgeon Riffola / Mercury / 8724872 (Germany)
- "Pour Some Sugar on Me" [Extended Version]
- "Release Me"
- "Rock of Ages" [Live Medley]
|Australian ARIA Charts||26|
|Dutch Mega Charts||94|
|German Media Control Charts||50|
|Irish Singles Chart||8|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||16|
|UK Singles Chart||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
Year-End Chart 
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
- Hysteria - Def Leppard Allmusic.
- Rock On The Net: VH1: 100 Greatest Songs of the 80's"
- Chart positions @ Finnishcharts.com Retrieved June 2009
- Neil Warwick, Jon Kutner, Tony Brown (2004) The complete book of the British charts: singles & albums Omnibus Press, 2004
- "Def Leppard website". Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "UK Top 40 Chart Archive, British Singles & Album Charts". everyHit.com. 2000-03-16. Retrieved 2011-11-03.