Power Quest 2012
|Genres||Power metal, Progressive metal (late)|
|Associated acts||DragonForce, Threshold, Blind Guardian, Pathfinder, Raven Lord, Arthemis, Eden's Curse|
|Past members||Steve Williams
Chitral "Chity" Somapala
Power Quest was a power metal band based in the United Kingdom, the final line-up consisted of vocalist Colin Callanan, guitarists Andy Midgley and Gavin Owen, bassist Paul Finne, drummer Rich Smith, and keyboardsist Steve Williams.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Band personnel
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The Power Quest Demo and Wings of Forever (2001-2002)
Power Quest was conceived in March 2001 by keyboardist Steve Williams, who had recently departed London power metal band DragonHeart (later called DragonForce). Steve Scott (another former member of DragonHeart, and also ex-Shadowkeep) was approached regarding bass duties. Steve was keen to work with his former colleague and accepted the offer. The original intention was for Power Quest to be entirely based in Southampton, but, other than guitarist Adam Bickers, no other interested musicians in the city could be found. For the second guitar slot, they managed to secure the services of their former DragonHeart bandmate Sam Totman, at least in a short-term capacity as his commitment lay with his own band.
The newly founded band recorded a two-track demo which was uploaded onto MP3.com in August 2001. Recording was supported by ZP Theart on vocals and Sam Totman along with Adam Bickers on guitar and Steve Scott on bass.
In April 2002, vocalist Alessio Garavello was recruited to the Power Quest ranks. He was recommended to the band by Maurizio Chiarello, label manager at Underground Symphony Records. Alessio flew over for a photo session with the band in May 2002 and returned in June to lay down vocal tracks for the new album. He was accompanied by the guitarist of his band, Arthemis, Andrea Martongelli, who recorded a few guest solos on the album - now named Wings of Forever. Following the album's release, he was recruited as a full-time member to replace Bickers who left to pursue a career as a doctor.
In January 2003, drummer Andre Bargmann was recruited into the Power Quest ranks. Bargmann left the band in July that year, following the release of the second album (Neverworld). His place was filled on the tour by Last Hours of Torment drummer Gavin Ward, and eventually on a more permanent basis by Francesco Tresca. Sam Totman also left after the release of Neverworld because of increased activity in DragonForce.
Magic Never Dies (2004-2007)
In November 2004, the band played a show with Dream Evil and Labyrinth in London, and then later in the month the band headed back to Thin Ice studios to record three new songs for the "Magic Never Dies" album. In November and December 2005, Power Quest toured on their 'Magic Never Dies tour', playing various dates in the UK, notably The Marquis in London on 25 November. The band followed this with a 'Magic Never Dies Tour part II'. In August 2006, Power Quest announced that current Alessio Garavello would be taking up a second role as rhythm guitarist, as the band had been without a second guitar player since Adam Bickers departure in 2003. In October 2007, an official Napalm Records MySpace blog post announced that Power Quest have signed to Napalm Records.
Master of Illusion (2007-2008)
In December 2007, keyboardist Steve Williams had announced on the Official Power Quest forums that there would be five guest appearances on the forthcoming album, Master of Illusion. The first of these was announced as guitarist Bill Hudson from North American power metal band Cellador, who will be providing guest instrumentation on the track "The Vigil". The second of these was announced as keyboardist Richard West from British progressive metal band Threshold, who will be providing a keyboard solo on the track "Human Machine". The third was revealed as Jorn Viggo Lofstad, from Norwegian progpower metal band Pagan's Mind who shared the stage with Power Quest in their 2006 tour. Fourth was announced as Chris Neighbour from UK thrash metal band FourwayKill. The final guest was announced on the newly redesigned Power Quest website as Bob Katsionis from Greek power metal band Firewind who would provide guest instrumentation on "Save the World".
Lineup Changes (2008-2010)
In June 2008, in a press release, the band announced that former Cellador and current Coldera guitarist Bill Hudson, who had previously contributed to the Master of Illusion album on the track "The Vigil", had joined as joint lead guitarist alongside Andrea Martongelli. In January 2009, bassist and founding member Steve Scott decided to quit the band to remain more permanently in New Zealand, leaving Steve Williams the only original member of the band. The band found a replacement bassist, Oliver Holzwarth, from prominent power metal band Blind Guardian. In April 2009, Steve Williams announced the departure of joint lead guitarist Bill Hudson, citing Bill's current location and costs as practical problems for the band. In July 2009, lead singer Alessio Garavello left the band after 7 years and 4 studio albums to pursue a different musical direction with newly formed alternative rock band A New Tomorrow.
Following the previous departure of founding members, it was announced on 21 September 2009 that long standing members Andrea Martongelli and Francesco Tresca were also leaving Power Quest. Replacement bassist Oliver Holzwarth also left due to constraints with his tour with Tarja Turunen. The last gig with the long-standing lineup was at MetalFest in Dudley on 26 September, with Jon Hoare of Mercury Rain standing in for bass with Steve Scott unable to attend.
On 28 September 2009 a new line up was revealed. This lineup conisited as Pete Morten on vocals (vocalist for My Soliloquy, Metalloid, and Nightmare World and touring guitarist for Threshold), Andy Midgley on guitar (guitarist for female-fronted prog/symphonic metal band Liquid Sky), Ben Randall on guitars (winner of the 2008 'Most Promising Young Guitarist Award' at the international Guitar Idol competition), Paul Finnie on bass (ex-stage manager for Power Quest and former bassist of post-punk band The Wake), and Rich Smith on drums (touring drummer with Vader, Dark Funeral, Old Man's Child, Green Carnation and The Blood Divine also ex member of Thunder Force and electro-rock/industrial band Aphemia). The band ended 2009 touring the UK with the Michael Schenker Group.
Following a few gigs with the new line-up, it was then announced on 15 March 2010, the sudden departure of front man Pete Morten and guitarist Ben Randall due to musical differences.
Blood Alliance and split (2010-2013)
Previously, in February 2009, it was announced that writing had begun on Power Quest's 5th studio album with demo recording for the record label to begin in March/April 2010 and with recording and production for the album in October 2010 at Foel Studios, Wales. In May 2010, the band announced the arrivals of Sri Lankan vocalist Chitral "Chity" Somapala and British guitarist Gavin Owen. It has been announced in a press release on August 2010, that nine tracks will appear on the album with one Japanese bonus track. The tracklisting was confirmed on 18 December 2010. In November 2010, mixing for the album was scheduled to occur at a studio in Vicenza, Italy, but was disrupted by floods to the area which damaged the studio, delaying production. On 10 January 2011 release dates were announced, with the album available worldwide by 5 April 2011; earlier for some areas.
In March 2011, Power Quest joined American progressive metal Symphony X on the UK leg of their European tour and played at the Hammerfest III festival before embarking on a small UK tour in May and a second UK tour in November. The 'Blood Alliance European Tour' occurred throughout June with support from Polish symphonic power metal band Pathfinder and Sapiency. In July, Power Quest provided the main support act for American power metal pioneers Crimson Glory for an exclusive UK show in London. The band also attended the Bloodstock Open Air festival in August 2011.
In October 2011, after 17 months and an album release (Blood Alliance) with Power Quest, vocalist Chitral Somapala left the band on amicable terms. In November, the new vocalist was announced as Colin Callanan of Irish power metal band Karuna.
Touring with the new front-man, Power Quest embarked on a European tour throughout March 2012 with original and founding member Steve Scott on bass guitar filling in for Paul Finnie's temporary absence. Power Quest joined German power metal band Freedom Call on stage in Switzerland and Germany, culminating in an appearance at Power Prog & Metal Fest 2012 in Belgium.
On 10 January 2013 keyboardist Steve Williams announced the split-up of the band citing financial reasons and lack of record label support. The band's last performances were at the Camden 'Underworld' in London, UK on 31 May 2013, and Bloodstock Open Air Festival in Derby, UK on 10 August 2013. Alessio Garavello and Adam Bickers made special guest appearances at both dates.
- Steve Williams - keyboards (2001–2013)
- Andy Midgley - guitars, backing vocals (2009–2013)
- Paul Finnie - bass (2009–2013)
- Rich Smith - drums (2009–2013)
- Gavin Owen - guitars (2010–2013)
- Colin Callanan - lead vocals (2011–2013)
- Adam Bickers - guitars (2001–2003)
- Sam Totman - guitars (2001–2003)
- Steve Scott - bass (2001–2009)
- Alessio Garavello - lead vocals (2002–2009), guitars (2006–2008)
- Andre Bargmann - drums (2003)
- Gavin Ward - drums (2003)
- Andrea Martongelli - guitars - backing vocals (2003–2009)
- Francesco Tresca - drums (2003–2009)
- Bill Hudson - guitars (2008–2010)
- Oliver Holzwarth - bass (2009)
- Pete Morten - lead vocals (2009–2010)
- Ben Randall - guitars (2009–2010)
- Chitral Somapala - lead vocals (2010–2011)
Note: Drums on the first studio album were provided by a drum machine, but credited to 'Scott Michaels'.
- Power Quest Demo (2001)
- Wings of Forever (2002)
- Neverworld (2003 Japan release, 2004 European release)
- Magic Never Dies (2005)
- Master of Illusion (2008)
- Blood Alliance (2011)
- "NapalmRecordsBlog". NapalmRecords. Retrieved October 20, 2007.
- "GuestAppearance1". SteveWilliams. Retrieved December 19, 2007.
- "GuestAppearance4". SteveWilliams. Retrieved March 7, 2008.
- "GuestAppearance5". SteveWilliams. Retrieved March 23, 2008.
- "BillHudsonJoinsPQ". SteveWilliams. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- "SteveSLeavesPQ". SteveWilliams. Retrieved January 8, 2009.
- "PQannounceNewBassist". SteveWilliams. Retrieved February 3, 2009.
- "POWER QUEST Parts Ways With Guitarist BILL HUDSON". BlabberMouth. Retrieved April 14, 2009.
- "New Power Quest line up revealed!". SteveWilliams. Retrieved October 12, 2009.
- "POWER QUEST Parts Ways With Singer, Guitarist". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- "UltimateMetalForum". SteveWilliams. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Power Quest - Unveil New Album Tracklisting And Cover Art". Metal Storm. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- "UltimateMetalForum". SteveWilliams. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "POWER QUEST: 'Blood Alliance' Release Dates Announced - Jan. 11, 2011". Blabbermouth. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- "Chity Somapala leaves Power Quest". Steve Williams. October 3, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "POWER QUEST Parts Ways With Singer". BlabberMouth.
- "New Power Quest Frontman Revealed!". Power Quest. November 14, 2011. Retrieved November 14, 2011.
- "Original POWER QUEST Bassist To Rejoin Band For FREEDOM CALL Tour". Blabbermouth. February 10, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "PPM Fest 2012: Bands". PPM Fest Event. April 8, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "POWER QUEST Calling It Quits". Blabbermouth. January 10, 2013. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Power Quest London May 31st 2013". Steve Williams. February 16, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.