Power and Water University of Technology
|Technical and Engineering Campus of Shahid Beheshti University (former Power and Water University of Technology)|
دانشگاه صنعت آب وبرق (عباسپور)
|Location|| Tehran, Iran
Technical and Engineering Campus of Shahid Beheshti University (formerly known as Power and Water University of Technology) (PWUT) (Persian: دانشگاه صنعت آب و برق Dāneshgāh-e San'ate Aabo Bargh) is a state university of technology, engineering and science in Iran. PWUT is also the technical training center for Power and Water industries in Iran. More than 120 academic staff along with more than 100 labs and workshops have made PWUT a unique center that provides an environment to promote a high level of professional performance for trainees from various backgrounds from different Regional Electric Companies, Power Plants and Water and Waste-water Companies. The university is located in north-east of Tehran, Iran. The university is named after Hassan Abbaspour, former Iranian Minister of Energy who was killed in 1981.
With more than 30 years of experience and modern technical and training facilities, PWUT offers degree programs. The programs are offered at Bachelors, Masters and PhD levels. In addition, PWUT conducts a wide range of short, specialized courses annually, aimed at upgrading or refreshing the knowledge and skills of practitioners. Most of the faculty members are power and water industry elites. Exceptional laboratories and experimental facilities are the other advantages of the university over the other public universities in Iran. PWUT is affiliated to the Ministry of Energy but has been accredited by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of Iran. The PWUT is administered by a board of trustees comprising high-ranking independent academicians and representatives of national organizations professors.
- 1 History
- 2 Faculties
- 3 Degree programs
- 4 Famous Faculty Members
- 5 Student life
- 6 References
- 7 External links
"Technical Power Systems Training Center" founded on north-east of Tehran on 1970 in order to proliferate the knowledge and skills of technologists and engineers employed in power and water industries. Its activities continued in a limited level until 1980. At that time, special consideration of Hasan Abbaspour (Minister of Energy) for training experts in power and water industries and the efforts of Mohammad Sadegh Ghazizadeh, Mohammad Ahmadian and Kabir Sadeghi lead to promotion of "Technical Power Systems Training Center" to an important research and training center in power and water industries which was responsible for short-term and long-term trainings in undergraduate level. Ministry of Science, Research and Technology approved the institution to be changed into Faculty of Power and Water on 1991. Finally it is changed into Shahid Abbaspour (Power and Water) University of Technology in 2005. Since then the university has become the most scientific center for preparing technical and professional participants to perform their job duties more desirable in all sections of power and water industries. The university also functions as a faculty under the University of Applied Science and Technology (UAST), at least for the Associate's degree program in Computer Software in particular, for which UAST awards the degree, while PWUT issues the official transcript. The university has also offered graduate programs in Electrical, Mechanical and Civil Engineering . In 2013 spring, PW university of technology was merged into the Shahid Beheshti University the ministry of science new policies. As a result, the former PWUT became a part of the Shahid Beheshti University.
Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering Faculty is composed of three different departments: Power Engineering department, Electronics & Computer Department and Control & Instrumentation Department. The Faculty has 12 laboratories, 11 specialized workshops and 47 faculty members.
Faculty of Mechanical and Energy Engineering
Energy Systems Faculty of Power and Water University of Technology with 11 Laboratory units, 8 Workshop Units and 13 specialized units together with the presence of 22 faculty members has a great research and technical engineering services potential. The main research areas were in the field of power plant industry and related issues like life estimation, corrosion and failure analysis, energy management, new energies, energy conversion systems including Turbo-Mechanism, heating systems etc. It should be mentioned that the aforementioned fields are just a few examples of working areas and it can be extended to any field related to faculty members experiences.
Faculty of Water (Civil) Engineering
Faculty of Water (Civil) Engineering started its educational activities in 1985. After promoting to PWUT in 2005, the Faculty faced significant changes. Several master degrees in Civil Engineering are now offered by the faculty. The department has now four departments: "Water Resources Engineering", "Water and Waste water Engineering", "Structural and Geo technical Engineering," and "Environmental Engineering".
Faculty of Economics and Management
This faculty was created in 1991. After some promotions, the faculty now offers M.A. and B.A. degrees in management and accounting. Short-term courses in management and accounting for related industries are the other activities of the department.
All the students are admitted through National Entrance Examination. The offered long-term programs are offered and also research is carried out both in graduate and undergraduate levels.
Undergraduate degree programs
- Applied-Science Electrical Engineering (Power Transmission and Distribution Networks)
- Applied-Science Civil Engineering (Water and Waste-Water)
- Applied-Science Engineering in Power Plant Mechanics
- Applied-Science Civil Engineering (Hydraulic Structures)
- Applied-Science Civil Engineering (Dam and Hydraulic Systems)
- B.A. in Management
- B.A. in Accounting
- B.Sc. in Computer Engineering (Software)
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering (Instrumentation & Control Systems)
Graduate degree programs
- M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (Power System Restructuring)
- M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (Power Systems)
- M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (Control Systems)
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Earthquake)
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Soil and Foundation)
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Water and Waste-Water)
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Management)
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (River)
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (Fluid Mechanics)
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (Solid Mechanics)
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (Electric Energy Management)
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (Power Plant)
- M.A. in Management (Electrical Energy)
- M.A. in Accounting
PhD degree programs
- PhD. in Electrical Engineering
- PhD. in Mechanical Engineering
- PhD. in Civil Engineering
- PhD. in Environment Engineering
Famous Faculty Members
- . Dr. Mohammad Ahmadian: Deputy to Minister of Energy in power systems affair.
- . Dr. Mohammad Sadegh Ghazizadeh: Deputy to Minister of Energy in Power Restructuring.
- . Dr. Kabir Sadeghi "Father of Marine and Offshore Structures in Iran": Vice President of Port and Maritime Organization.
- . Dr. Ali Zabihi: chief executive officer of Social Security Organization.
- . Dr. S. Kharaghani: Deputy to Minister of Energy in employment and human resources.
- . Dr. Mojtaba Khederzadeh: Iran's top researcher in power industry (2005).
- . Dr. A. Mousavi Torshizi: Head of Niroo Research Institute
- . Dr. G. B. Gholikandi: Head of Water Research Institute.
- . Dr. A. Yazdizadeh: former head of Iran Energy Efficiency Organization and Ministry of Energy top researcher (2008)
- . Dr. M. Meshkatodini: Ministry of Energy top researcher (2006).
- . Dr. M.R. Aghamohammadi: Head of Iran Dynamic Research Center (IDRC)
- . Dr. N. Hassani: Head of Life Lines Research Center
Power and Water University of Technology is well known for its beautiful campus. There are plenty of big trees and a wide green area. An small river goes through the university and makes it more pleasant.
There are exceptional sport facilities inside the university. The university provides facilities for football, volleyball, swimming, wrestling and other fields of sport.
- Power and Water University of Technology
- Kabir Sadeghi Encyclopedia
- History PWUT
- Energy College PWUT
- Dr. Kabir Sadeghi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Power and Water University of Technology.|