Poynton High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Chair of Governors||Malcolm Adams|
|Location||Yew Tree Lane
|Local authority||Cheshire East|
|DfE URN||111436 Tables|
|Houses||Newton, Leigh, Vernon, Davenport|
|Publication||The Poynton High Flyer|
Poynton High School and Performing Arts College is a mixed comprehensive secondary school in Poynton in the Cheshire East Local Education Authority in England. It was founded in 1972, and was awarded Arts College status in 2002. It has 1596 pupils between Years 7 and 13 (i.e. ages 11–18) including a sixth form of 320 pupils.
Ofsted have rated the school as needs improvement at their most recent inspection in January 2014. Poynton High School was previously ranked the best state school in Cheshire East Local Education Authority in 2012, and was rated as an 'outstanding school' by Ofsted at the previous inspections in October 2008.
It is non-denominational, although its roll is 96% white British and predominantly Anglican. It serves a relatively advantaged area where a high proportion of adults have higher education experience. The proportion of students entitled to free school meals is small. The number of students with learning difficulties or disabilities is well below the national average. The number of students whose first language is not English is well below the national average.
The school is involved with many external organisations and groups and links with foreign education establishments. Comenius, Heaton Special School & Music Academy are all integral to the school as a community and have been established for a period of time.
The school has a wide range of extracurricular activities for students after school and during school hours such as chess, badminton, and dance. Students can also take part in many activities for their respective houses, which are Newton, Davenport, Legh and Vernon.
Notable former pupils
- David Bowers, film director
- Ian Clark, film director
- Graham Evans, Conservative Party Member of Parliament (MP) for Weaver Vale
- Anouska Golebiewski, Big Brother (UK) contestant
- Matt Nixson, journalist, former Head of Features for The Sun newspaper
- Andrew Stephenson, Conservative Party MP for Pendle
- Dame Sarah Storey, road and track cyclist, and Paralympic Games gold medallist
- Sophie Thornhill, track cyclist
Notable former staff members
- The Rev Canon Jane Brooke, Residentiary Canon Chancellor of Chester Cathedral
- Patsy Calton, former Liberal Democrat MP for Cheadle
- Ofsted. "Inspection report: Poynton High School". Ofsted. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- McDowall, Rhiannon (February 1, 2012). "Pupils are at top of the class with great results". Macclesfield Express.
- OFSTED (22 October 2008). Poynton High School Inspection report.
- "Flushed away with success!". Manchester Evening News. 2007-09-05. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- Hudson, Elizabeth (31 December 2013), "Paralympic sport's ones to watch for 2014", BBC, retrieved 23 July 2014