Ghosh at a book fair in Kolkata
|Born||March 1, 1946|
Prabir Ghosh (born March 1, 1945) is the president of the Humanists' Association based in Kolkata. He was once referred to in the media as being from the "Rationalist Association of India". A "vociferous debunker", he has "crusad[ed] against soothsayers and godmen in eastern India" and survived "at least 20 attempts" on his life since the mid-1980s. His campaigning style is deliberately provocative and intended to raise public awareness of the rationalist cause. The documentary film "Guru Busters" features several of his confrontations with charlatans and quacks in the Kolkata area. He is the author of a number of Bengali language books disputing supernatural claims.
$50,000 miracle challenge
Prabir currently offers INरू2 million (US$50,000) "to anyone who claims to possess supernatural power of any kind and proves the same without restoring to any trick, in a location specified by Prabir Ghosh." The association states:
- We don’t have the challenge money 20 lakhs (2 million) with us. But our supporters and well-wishers have committed to help us out in case we need it. But we are confident we will never need the money. The rationalist will win all the challenges.
Major works (in Bengali)
- (English title: "Nothing is Supernatural" in five volumes)
- Pinky O Aloukik Baba, Aloukik Rahasya Sandhane Pinky, Aloukik Rahasya Jaale Pinky (youth fiction series debunking various paranormal phenomena)
Major works (in English)
- Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations
- The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge
- List of prizes for evidence of the paranormal
- Narendra Nayak
- Basava Premanand
- "Some legislators are close to Satyananda". The Week (Malayala Manorama Group). 2005-04-17. Archived from the original on 2006-12-31. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- Luto, Irena (2005-08-04). "Debating Teresa's legacy to Calcutta". BBC News. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- "What's Mother Teresa Got to Do with It?". Time Asia. 2002-10-21. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- "Eagle & Eagle". Eagletv.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "The challenge by Prabir Ghosh". Science and Rationalists’ Association of India. Archived from the original on 2007-04-27. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- Prabir's homepage – PrabirGhosh.com, Official website
- Prabir's essay on Swami Ramdev
- The Freethinker, online magazine for freethinking minds edited by Prabir
- Humanists' Association – Official website