Prague Half Marathon
|Prague Half Marathon|
Runners crossing Mánes Bridge in the centre of Prague in 2010
|Date||Late March/Early April|
|Location||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Official site||Prague Half Marathon|
The Prague Half Marathon is an annual half marathon road running event which takes place in Spring on the city streets of Prague, Czech Republic. Known as the Hervis Prague Half Marathon for sponsorship reasons, it holds IAAF Gold Label Road Race status, making it the foremost race of its type in the country. It is managed by the same organisation that holds the Prague Marathon in May.
The Prague Half Marathon has a looped course format which has its race start and end point on Jan Palach Square near the Rudolfinum. The course follows the Vltava river southwards and then makes an east-to-west loop passing Folimanka park. It crosses to the west side of the Vltava, heading over Palacky Bridge, and after heading south along Strakonická road it doubles back to follow the river north, before crossing Legií Bridge to reach the halfway point. The course traces a large loop into the northern part of the city centre before returning to the Rudolfinum for the finish point.
The competition has enjoyed an increasing level of participation, with around 6500 participants in 2009 and almost 8500 runners taking part in the 2010 event. Since 2006, a corporate team half marathon relay event has also featured on the day's programme of events – each company being represented by four runners each covering equal legs of 5.27 km. Around 100 teams and 50 business and institutions were present for the first race.
In the elite level half marathon races, Kenyan athletes have been dominant – all but one of the men's winners come from the East African country, which has also provided over half the female race winners. No man has ever topped the podium on two occasions, but both Jana Klimešová and Rose Kosgei have taken back-to-back wins in the women's event.
Atsedu Tsegay holds the men's course record of 58:47 minutes (set in 2012), while Gladys Cherono's mark of 66:48 minutes (set in 2013) is the best achieved by a woman in the Prague race. Both of these times are the fastest ever run in the Czech Republic for the half marathon.
Key: Course record
|Year||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|2015||Daniel Wanjiru (KEN)||59:51||Worknesh Degefa (ETH)||1:07:14|
|2014||Peter Kirui (KEN)||59:22||Joyce Chepkirui (KEN)||1:06:18|
|2013||Zersenay Tadese (ERI)||1:00:10||Gladys Cherono (KEN)||1:06:48|
|2012||Atsedu Tsegay (ETH)||58:47||Joyce Chepkirui (KEN)||1:07:03|
|2011||Philemon Limo (KEN)||59:30||Lydia Cheromei (KEN)||1:07:33|
|2010||Joel Kemboi (KEN)||1:00:09||Rose Kosgei (KEN)||1:09:57|
|2009||Nicholas Koech (KEN)||1:00:07||Rose Kosgei (KEN)||1:09:03|
|2008||Elijah Karanja (KEN)||1:02:08||Asha Gigi (ETH)||1:12:00|
|2007||Patrick Ivuti (KEN)||1:01:00||Liliya Shobukhova (RUS)||1:11:14|
|2006||Stephen Kibiwott (KEN)||1:01:15||Caroline Kwambai (KEN)||1:10:08|
|2005||Silas Kirui (KEN)||1:01:07||Susan Kirui (KEN)||1:12:49|
|2004||Joseph Kiprotich (KEN)||1:01:46||Catherine Kirui (KEN)||1:10:38|
|2003||Fred Kiprop (KEN)||1:02:47||Helena Javornik (SLO)||1:11:03|
|2002||Willy Kipkirui (KEN)||1:02:15||Gloria Marconi (ITA)||1:12:06|
|2001||Anthony Korir (KEN)||1:02:09||Florence Barsosio (KEN)||1:12:51|
|2000||Isaac Kiprono (KEN)||1:03:28||Jana Klimešová (CZE)||1:14:17|
|1999||Ali Mabrouk El Zaidi (LBA)||1:04:48||Jana Klimešová (CZE)||1:15:39|
- Butcher, Pat (2011-04-02). Limo and Cheromei shatter course records at Prague Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-04-03.
- Mapa Hervis 1/2Maraton Praha. Prague International Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-04-03.
- Course records fall in Prague - Prague Half Marathon report. IAAF (2009-03-28). Retrieved on 2011-04-03.
- Hervis Prague Half Marathon 2011. Prague International Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-04-03.
- Riedlová, Daniela (3 April 2006). "Kenyan men sweep, new women’s record at Prague Half Marthon (sic)". IAAF. Archived from the original on 6 April 2006. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Monti, Dave (2011-04-02). Limo, Cheromei set course records at Prague Half. Universal Sports. Retrieved on 2011-04-03.
- Butcher, Pat (2012-03-31). Tsegay’s 58:47 shatters course record in ‘very windy’ Prague. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-04-01.
- Cherono breaks course record in Prague as Tadese out-sprints team-mate. IAAF (2013-04-06). Retrieved on 2013-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prague Half Marathon.|