|• Total||4,716 km2 (1,821 sq mi)|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 244 or (+40) 344|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-PH|
In 2011, it had a population of 762,886 and the population density was 161/km². It is the third Romania's most populated county (after Bucharest and Iași County), having a population density double than the country's mean.
The county received an inflow of population who have moved here due to the industrial development. More info on: [www.infoprahova.com ]
This county has a total area of 4,716 km².
The relief is split in approximately equal parts between the mountains, the hills and the plain. In the North side there are mountains from the southern end of the Eastern Carpathians - the Curvature Carpathians group; and the Bucegi Mountains the Eastern end of the Southern Carpathians group. The two groups are separated by the Prahova River Valley.
The south side of the county is a plain, on the North West side of the Romanian Plain.
- Buzău County in the East.
- Dâmbovița County in the West.
- Brașov County in the North.
- Ialomița County and Ilfov County in the South.
The area contains the main oil reserves in Romania having a long tradition in extracting and refining the oil. The county is heavily industrialised, more than 115,000 people being involved in an industrial activity. It realises over 8% of the country's industrial production. Some of the biggest international corporations like Coca-Cola, Unilever, InBev, Johnson Controls, Cameron, Weatherford, Michelin, Timken and others have invested heavily in the recent years.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Oil industry - almost 50% of the county's industrial production.
- Oil extracting equipment.
- Chemical industry.
- Rubber industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
Agriculture is also developed - in the southern part mainly extensive agriculture and the hills area is well suited for wines and fruit orchards. In total it realises about 3% of the country's agricultural production.
The main tourist destinations are:
- On the Prahova Valley:
- On the Teleajen River Valley:
- On the Doftana River Valley:
- The city of Ploiești.
- The city of Câmpina.
Prahova County has 2 municipalities, 12 towns and 90 communes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prahova County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"