Prairie Grove, Arkansas
|Prairie Grove, Arkansas|
Borden House on Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park
Location in Arkansas
|• Mayor||Sonny Hudson|
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,165 ft (355 m)|
|• Density||1,212.6/sq mi (469.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0078091|
Prairie Grove is a city in Washington County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 4,380 at the 2010 Census. It is part of the Fayetteville–Springdale–Rogers, AR-MO Metropolitan Statistical Area. Located here is the Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. The park spans a large amount of land and contains a visitor center, museum, several monuments, a driving tour and a collection of period buildings and homes you can tour.
Prairie Grove was the site of the Battle of Prairie Grove during the American Civil War. Confederate forces under General Thomas C. Hindman attempted to prevent the juncture of two Federal forces under Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron. The result of the battle was a tactical stalemate which assured permanent Union control of northwest Arkansas. The battlefield is now a State Military Park. During Labor Day weekend in the fall, the park hosts the Clothesline Fair which is a typical southern style hometown celebration. Crafts vendors and artists from all over the nation descend on this southern town to display and sell their talents and wares.
The Natural Resources Defense Council released an issue paper stating between that 1997 and 2001, Prairie Grove was the center of a cluster of testicular cancer cases. No clear cause has been identified but the NRDC notes the town is near a closed nuclear reactor and a low-level radioactive landfill. Arsenic from industrialized chicken manure is another possible source.
Prairie Grove is located at .(35.976919, -94.316167)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,380 people, 1,658 households, and 1,197 families residing in the city. The racial makeup of the city was 91.08% White, 0.80% Black or African American, 2.90% Native American, 0.70% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 1.50% from other races, and 2.10% from two or more races. 4.50% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,658 households out of which 36.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.1% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 40.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.11.
Prairie Grove School District is separated into four different schools; Prairie Grove Primary, Intermediate, Middle, and High School facilities. The school mascot is The Tigers. The school colors are Black, Gold, and White.
- Steven Idlet, professional basketball player with the Brampton A's in Ontario Canada and Atomeru Se in Hungary.
- Lichelle Marie, pornographic actress, born in Prairie Grove in 1981
- Mark R. Martin, Arkansas Secretary of State since 2011; Republican former member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 87 in Benton County; Prairie Grove resident.
- Ada Mills, a Republican political activist was born in Prairie Grove in 1912.
- Margaret Pittman, a noted bacteriologist known for her work in helping to formulate and test the effectiveness of the whooping cough vaccine, as well as groundbreaking research into the immunology and microbiology of infectious diseases. She was born near Prairie Grove in 1902.
- Kirby, David (March 30, 2011). "Arsenic in Chicken Feed: A Possible Cancer Cluster Source?". Huffington Post.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- http://22.214.171.124/player/Steven-Idlet/Summary/8118. Missing or empty
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2745873/. Missing or empty
- City of Prairie Grove, Arkansas official website
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture entry: Prairie Grove (Washington County)