Pran Kumar Sharma
|Pran Kumar Sharma|
August 15, 1938 |
Kasur, British India
|Known for||Creator of Chacha Chaudhary|
Early life and education
Born in Kasur, now in Pakistan, Pran graduated with a Master of Arts (Political Science) degree. He then completed a four-year course in Fine Arts from Sir J. J. School of Art, Mumbai. Pran Kumar Sharma is credited for creating Chacha Chaudhary.
Pran began his career in 1960 as a cartoonist for the Delhi-based newspaper Milap with comic strip Daabu. Apart from Daabu, Indian comics scenario was largely based on reprints of The Phantom and Superman. In 1969, Pran sketched Chacha Chaudhary for the Hindi magazine Lotpot, which made him famous. Pran has also created other cartoon characters like Shrimatiji, Pinki, Billoo, Raman, Channi Chachi and others, which are regularly published in Indian magazines. He was included in People of the year 1995 by Limca Book of Records for popularizing comics in India. In 1983, the then Prime Minister of India, Mrs. Indira Gandhi released Pran's comics "Raman - Ham Ek Hain" which promoted national integration. Pran received a Lifetime Achievement Award 2001, from Indian Institute of Cartoonists. Pran has also given lessons in cartooning at the Pran's Media Institute, run by his son Nikhil.
Maurice Horn notes that Pran has been given the title of "Walt Disney of India" in The World Encyclopedia of Comics. The Chacha Chaudhary strips find permanent place in International Museum of Cartoon Art, USA.
- Ruchika Talwar (9 June 2008). "The Adventures of Pran". Indian Express. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- "Laughter lines". Hindustan Times. November 9, 2010..
- Pran profile Indian Institute of Cartoonists
- Arnie Cooper (5 January 2010). "Hindu Gods' Avatars On the Page". Los Angeles: The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- Jacob, Bindu (8 July 2001). "Chacha Choudhary all set for the small screen". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- Horn, Maurice. The World Encyclopedia of Comics.
|This article about an artist from India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This profile of a cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|