Pranava Prakash in Gallery
10 February 1979 |
Patna, Bihar, India
|Field||pop art, installation art, painting|
|Training||NMCH,Patna, Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad|
|Movement||Socio Pop Art|
|Works||The Goddess of Fifteen Minutes of Fame, Your Turn, Chal Hat Be Bihari|
|Awards||Obra De Art Annual Medal,2009|
Pranava Prakash (Hindi: प्रणव प्रकाश; born in Patna in 1979) is an Indian artist working in neopop style. He is known for helping to create the "tuchchart" style with a group of Delhi artists, which he debuted in a 2007 show in Delhi entitled "Tuchchart".Prakash is also known for drawing inspiration for his works from various sociopolitical issues such as xenophobia, frequently depicting various persons in the nude.
Prakash has received controversy over some of his works, with some of the galleries featuring his paintings being vandalized and Prakash himself being assaulted over the depiction of nude celebrities. Other paintings that have received controversy include his Your Turn painting, which depicted Indian painter M.F. Husain in the nude. Prakash stated that he had been inspired to paint the picture due to the reactions of several female painters over Husain's "depiction of the fairer sex in uncompromising positions". He had attempted to submit the painting for showings and was repeatedly rejected until its appearance in the AIFACS gallery in New Delhi.
His painting Goddess of Fifteen Minutes of fame also received criticism for depicted Arundhati Roy, Osama Bin Laden, and Chairman Mao Zedong in the nude. Opinions on the work differed, with some seeing the work as creative expression while the painting prompted the Lalit Kala Academy to cancel a scheduled showing with him. The decision was protested by the group Socio Pop, who burnt a paint brush and stated they would abstain from painting until Prakash's work was shown.
Prakash got annual award for 2013 in painting category,instated by the government of Bihar at Patna by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.The citation mentioned his contribution of ‘Your Turning’ and ‘Goddess of Fifteen Minutes of fame’ which raised debate.
- "Story of Yuvraj’s fight against cancer on canvas".
- "Hate canvas". Indian Express. Feb 8, 2009. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "MF Hussain's art disrespects women. : Dr Pravana Prakash".
- "Yana loves her pantyless painting". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Artist thrashed in Noida over nude paintings". Times of India. Jan 30, 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Sawhney, Aakriti (January 9, 2012). "When art gets attacked". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Kapoor, Vaishali. "What Goes Around Comes Around: the tale of a painter". MemSaab. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "लादेन और माओ के साथ अरुंधती रॉय की न्यूड पेंटिंग". Navbharat Times. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Delhi artist paints Arundhati in the nude". Mid-Day. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "In the end, it was a no show". Mid-Day. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Govt to prepare cultural road map, Nitish Kumar says". The Times of India. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Sanjay Singh "Pop art directions in India", Delhi, Artworks Press, Jan 2008 p. 117
- Shashi Shwetima "Tucchart: A new wave" Delhi, Zennit Press, Nov. 2007 p. 15
- Anil Sinha "New Millenium : New Art" Kolkata, Reco art India, March 2008 p. 48