Prasenjit Duara (অসমীয়া: প্রসেনজিৎ দুৱঁৰা (Assamese), Chinese name: Chinese: 杜赞奇; pinyin: Dù Zànqí), originally from Assam, India, an historian of China, is the Raffles Professor of Humanities at the National University of Singapore where he is also Director of Asian Research Institute and Research in Humanities and Social Sciences. In addition to Chinese history, he works more broadly on Asia in the twentieth century, and on historical thought and historiography. Duara spent a major part of his career teaching at the Department of History in the University of Chicago, where he was also chairman of the department from 2004-2007.
Early life and education
Duara went to the all-boys' boarding school The Doon School in India and studied history at St. Stephen's College, Delhi. After obtaining BA and MA in history from St. Stephen's College, Duara received his M. Phil in Chinese Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University. He then completed his PhD at Harvard University in History and East Asian languages in 1983.
Duara has taught at Princeton University, George Mason University and has been a Mellon Faculty Fellow at Stanford University. From 1990 until 2008, he taught at the University of Chicago where he was Chair of the China Studies Committee (1994-1996) and subsequently, Chair of the History Department (2004-2007). He is currently the Raffles Professor of Humanities at the National University of Singapore. In addition to that, he is the director of Asia Research Institute and Humanities & Social Science Research at NUS.
- —— (1995). Rescuing History from the Nation: Questioning Narratives of Modern China. Chicago; London: University of Chicago Press.
- —— (2004). Decolonization: Perspectives from Now and Then. London; New York: Routledge. ISBN 0415248418.
- —— (2006). "Nationalism in East Asia". History Compass 4 (3): 407–427.
- —— (2004). Decolonization : Perspectives from Now and Then. London ; New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780203485521.
- —— (1988). Culture, Power, and the State: Rural North China, 1900-1942. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press.
- —— (2009). The Global and Regional in China's Nation-Formation. London ; New York: Routledge.
- —— (2003). Sovereignty and Authenticity : Manchukuo and the East Asian Modern. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. ISBN 0742525775.
- Power in rural society : North China villages, 1900-1940 (Book, 1985) [WorldCat.org]
- NUS - Office of Deputy President (Research & Technology)
- East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Prasenjit Duara | Department of History | The University of Chicago