Praveen Kumar (administrator)
- For other individuals with the same name, see Praveen Kumar (disambiguation)
Early life and education
Praveen Kumar is from Hazaribag in Jharkhand. He matriculated from St. Xavier's School, Hazaribag, in 1977. He received undergraduate and postgraduate degress in Metallurgy from IIT Kanpur. He also received M. Phil degree in Social Science from Punjab University. He is from the 1987 batch of Indian Administrative Officer. He is married to Anitha Praveenkumar.
He began his IAS career in Tamil Nadu. He started as Assistant Collector in Training in Salem district in 1988. During 1989-1991, he worked in Thanjavur district as Sub-Collector, Settlement Officer and Additional Collector.
He worked as Joint Resident Commissioner in the Tamil Nadu House in New Delhi from 1992-1994 and Controller of Examinations of the Tamil Nadu Public Services Commission in 1994-1996. He became Villupuram district Collector in 1996. In 1997, he became Additional Secretary in the Industries Department in Tamil Nadu.
In 2001, he went to work for the Union government. He was appointed as the Director in the Department of Elementary Education and Literacy of the Union Ministry of Human Resources Development.
2011 Tamil Nadu election
He was widely commended for conducting the 2011 Tamil Nadu election in a free and fair manner. Incidences of milk abhishekam to his poster in Avaniapuram in Madurai was reported after the elections results were declared.
- The Hindu: Each reading on EVMs will be videographed - CEO
- "Praveen Kumar to be Chief Electoral Officer". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 30 July 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "அலுவலகத்துக்கு நடந்தே சென்ற தலைமைத் தேர்தல் அதிகாரி". Dinamani. 17 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "தேர்தல் அதிகாரி பிரவீண் குமாரின் படத்துக்கு பாலாபிஷேகம்". Dinamani. 16 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.