Preacher's Kid (film)
|Directed by||Stan Foster|
|Written by||Stan Foster|
|Editing by||Richard Nord|
|Distributed by||Warner Premiere|
|Running time||110 minutes|
Preacher's Kid is a 2010 Christian-drama-film directed by Stan Foster, loosely based on the Parable of the Prodigal Son. Original songs and score are composed by recording artist and music producer Tim Miner. The film was written and directed by Stan Foster, and stars LeToya Luckett, Durrell "Tank" Babbs, Clifton Powell, Gregory Alan Williams, Rae'Ven Larrymore Kelly, Kiki Sheard, Sharif Atkins, Tammy Townsend, and Essence Atkins. The film was released to theaters on January 29, 2010 by Warner Premiere.
Small-town preacher's kid Angie King leaves the church and her Augusta, GA home to pursue a dream of singing stardom. Luckett plays Angie, the daughter of a stern but loving bishop, whose attraction to the hunky star (Tank) of a traveling gospel show takes her on the road…and into romance, heartbreak and the realization that happiness may lie in the home she left behind.
Preacher's Kid was released to 109 theaters on January 29, 2010. Gen8X committed to donate the film's opening day net proceeds to humanitarian aid for 2010 Haiti earthquake relief through charities such as Smile of a Child, Friend Ships, and Samaritan's Purse. In its opening weekend, it grossed $190,638, which equals $1,749 per theater. The film has accumulated $515,065 to date.
The film received mixed to positive reviews from film critics. Kam Williams gave the film a "Very Good" review, saying, "[I]t's well-enough executed, especially for a flick on a modest budget, to forgive the low production values and a tendency towards melodrama." Michael Dequina of The Movie Report said, "Foster's film confirms the unique, undeniable power this genre can achieve on both stage and film..." John Anderson of Variety gave the film a mixed review, saying, "Stan Foster, making his directorial debut, has reared a 'Preacher's Kid' that's largely wooden, unlikely in many spots and, despite the few hard-edges of his script, could have used a tougher sensibility. The results are a movie that doesn't quite know what it wants to be. But, overall it was a good movie."
DVD release 
- "Preacher's Kid - Modern Retelling of the Prodigal Son". May 6, 2010.
- "Theater Counts: January 29". Box Office Mojo. January 28, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Crouch, Matthew (January 29, 2010). "CEO of Gener8Xion Entertainment on why the company is donating the net proceeds from the opening night of the new movie". Larry King Live. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Donovan, Kevin P. (February 2, 2010). "'Preacher's Kid' Movie Hits Theaters, Commits Sales to Haiti". The Christian Post. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- "Weekend Actuals". Box Office Mojo. January 29–31, 2010. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Williams, Kam (January 30, 2010). "Preacher's Kid Film Review". NewsBlaze. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Dequina, Michael (January 27, 2009). "Preacher's Kid Review". The Movie Report. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Anderson, John (January 31, 2010). "Recently Reviewed: Preacher's Kid". Variety. Retrieved February 1, 2010.