|Guillermo Scott Herren|
Scott Herren aka Prefuse 73, portrayed in Berlin in 2005
|Birth name||Guillermo Scott Herren|
|Also known as||Prefuse 73
Savath and Savalas
Delarosa and Asora
|Born||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, indie hip hop, underground hip hop, experimental hip hop, psychedelic hip hop, glitch hop, psychedelic, electroacoustic|
|Labels||Warp, Chocolate Industries, Hefty, Money Studies, Pearineel, Schematic|
|Associated acts||Savath y Savalas
Diamond Watch Wrists
Guillermo Scott Herren is a music producer, who has been based in Atlanta, Barcelona and New York. Herren releases music under the aliases Prefuse 73, Delarosa & Asora, Ahmad Szabo, and Piano Overlord, and is also part of the groups Savath y Savalas, Risil, and Diamond Watch Wrists.
Guillermo Scott Herren was born in Miami, Florida and grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. His father is Catalan and his mother is Irish and Cuban. At an early age his parents encouraged him to play piano and other instruments; his mother "forced" Herren to play a wide variety of instruments, even going so far as to teach him the Suzuki Method in order to "keep him out of trouble". Growing up, Herren's musical tastes branched out and he became interested in hip-hop, punk rock, and electronic music.
He began his career DJing at MJQ, a small night club in Atlanta, and then began working in commercial studios producing hip-hop tracks for Dirty South rappers. However, Herren wanted to create his own music and started collecting second-hand instruments and drum machines during this part of his career. He eventually moved to New York City to go to college; there he began recording his first major release, Sleep Method Suite, under the name of "Delarosa and Asora". The album was released in 1997.
In 2000, Herren released the album Folk Songs For Trains, Trees, And Honey under the name "Savath & Savalas". This album focused more on Herren's ambient and jazz influences.
Herren first released music under the name "Prefuse 73" with 2001's commercially and critically successful Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives. A year later, a 4-track EP The '92 Vs. '02 Collection was released. In 2003, Herren released the full-length album One Word Extinguisher, one of his best known Prefuse 73 albums to date. A companion album, Extinguished: Outtakes was released afterwards showing off some of the production "outtakes" and remixes that were omitted from the initial full-length.
2005 saw the release of Surrounded By Silence, Herren's third album as Prefuse 73. The album featured more collaborations with a variety of musicians, including rappers both underground and mainstream. Herren's next Prefuse 73 release, Security Screenings, was released in 2006; though as long as a full-length, the release was touted as an EP. On August 8, 2007, the fourth Prefuse 73 album, Preparations was announced and it was released on October 15, 2007. The album is sold with a bonus full-length disc titled Interregnums, featuring songs that were more ambient and contemplative than usual Prefuse 73 material.
Along with partners Peter Rentz, Carolina Chaves, Ben Loiz, Carlos Niño, and Paz Ochs, Herren started the Eastern Developments Music label.
In June 2008, Herren announced the formation of a new collaborative project, Risil, which includes members of Sunn O))), Hella, School of Seven Bells, Pivot, and others. On June 24, 2009, the supergroup released their debut LP, entitled Non Meters Volume 1. Herren also released a new Savath & Savalas album, entitled "La Llama"', earlier in March of the same year, and a new Prefuse 73 LP entitled Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian.
In 2011, he contributed to the track "Terra" for the Red Hot Organization's most recent charitable album "Red Hot+Rio 2." The album is a follow-up to the 1996 "Red Hot + Rio." Proceeds from the sales will be donated to raise awareness and money to fight AIDS/HIV and related health and social issues.
Prefuse 73 
- Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives ( June 9, 2001)
- One Word Extinguisher (May 5, 2003)
- Surrounded by Silence (March 21, 2005)
- Preparations (October 15, 2007)
- Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian (April 14, 2009)
- Meditation Upon Meditations (The Japanese Diaries) (April 25, 2009)
- The Only She Chapters (April 25/26, 2011)
- Estrocaro EP (October 23, 2000)
- Radio Attack / Nuno (2000)
- Out Takes For 88'. (Never released, 2001)
- Wylin Out (Featuring Mos Def & Diverse) (2002)
- The '92 Vs. '02 Collection (2002)
- Extinguished: Outtakes (August 25, 2003)
- T5 Soul Sessions, Volume 1 (2004)
- Impulsive! Revolutionary Jazz Reworked (2005)
- HideYaFace (February 21, 2005)
- Security Screenings (February 6, 2006)
- Prefuse 73 Reads the Books E.P. (July 11, 2005)
- Interregnums (October 15, 2007)
- The Class Of 73 Bells (Featuring School of Seven Bells) (September 17, 2007)
- The Forest Of Oversensitivity (June 1, 2009)
- The Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73 (May 2011)
Delarosa & Asora 
- Sleep Method Suite (1997)
- Agony, Pt. 1 (2001)
- Crush the Sight-Seers (1999)
- Backsome (2001)
Savath and Savalas 
- Folk Songs for Trains, Trees and Honey (2000)
- Apropa't (2004)
- Golden Pollen (June 19, 2007)
- La Llama (May 19, 2009) (Stones Throw Records)
- Immediate Action #1 (Wednesday, July 25, 2001)
- Rolls and Waves (2002)
- Mañana (Savath and Savalas album)|Mañana (2005)
Piano Overlord 
- The Singles Collection 03-05 (November 8, 2005)
- Aninha Mission (July 17, 2012)
- Tease EP (2004)
- Torture EP (August 2005)
Diamond Watch Wrists 
- Ice Capped at Both Ends (May 4, 2009)
Guillermo Scott Herren 
- Sleeping on Saturday and Sunday Afternoons (2003), Tour CDR in regular CD jewel case with handmade artwork (front and back inlays) that was sold (for $25) on 2003 Prefuse 73 tour with Four Tet and Manitoba.
Ahmad Szabo 
- This Book is About Words (2003)
- Luck Has a Million Meanings (2006)
- Ryan Allen. "Prefuse 73 Biography".
- Paul Thompson. "Scott Herren Preps Prefuse, Savath & Savalas, Risil LPs". Retrieved June 7, 2008.
- Discogs. "Guillermo Scott Herren - Sleeping on Saturday and Sunday Afternoons".
- Official site
- Warp Records
- Money Studies
- Chocolate Ind.
- Hefty Records
- Eastern Developments Music
- Synthesis.net interview with Scott Herren
- The Milk Factory: Review of Security Screenings
- BBC: Review of Security Screenings
- Prefuse 73 discography on Discogs
- NewMusicBox cover: Guillermo Scott Herren in conversation with Trevor Hunter, April 21, 2009 (includes video)
- The Top 5 Instrumental Hip-Hop Albums on Synconation